Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an ad in the paper for an 8 month old beagle pup, neutered, shots all up to date, for $100. When I called the man, I asked why he was giving him up? He said the dog was a little too much for he and his wife to handle, they work every day but two, and couldn't spend the time with the pup. They thought he wouldn't be so much work. HUH???? Puppies of any breed are WORK. Did they think he'd come with diapers? Feed himself,? Walk himself? Play with himself? I am so puzzled....don't these people do their homework. Rhetorical question, cause obviously they don't. But then they went to all the work of neutering him, getting his shots....what's that all about.

We are going to go look at this little boy tomorrow, he gets along with other dogs, let's see how he does with Casie and Cobi...but I have some issues here to deal with before he can join our household. Maybe he and Casie can housetrain each other.:scary:

We call all of the beagles that are in the paper for sale or give away, and the #1 answer we get for why they are being given up is the people didn't know they would be so much work. ...... I'm so puzzled. What do you think?

·
Registered
326 Posts
awwwww, poor beag, yup it amazes me how this happens with pets, strange I suppose we would not know the real reasons behind such peoples reasons unless they actually sat down with us and did an honest interview.

Hope all works out in meeting the beag, it would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
:shakingfist:Oh this really gets me going!

It is beyond my scope of comprehension how people can be THAT clueless when it comes to getting any puppy!

I really hope it works out for you and you can give this little guy the home he deserves. :)

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think that a lot of people don't do any research when they decide to get a dog.

When we decided we'd get a puppy I did a lot of research on which breed would be a good fit for us. When we decided on beagle(s) we knew that they'd be a lot of work, we knew that they are sometimes more difficult to house train and we knew that obedience training was a must. We knew that they need a lot of exercise and we knew that they had a lot of energy, especially as puppies.

With that knowledge we decided that beagles were the breed that we wanted, we were willing to do the work, and understood that beagles have their own idiosyncrasies that make them who they are. It takes a real commitment on someones part to raise a puppy (or an adult rescue), and realize that you'll be responsible for that dog for a lot of years-sometimes more that 15 (which is longer than my home mortgage was).

I think that some people just look at a puppy (especially beagles) and think that they are cute, without knowing the amount of work that it takes to mold them into really great adult dogs.

I also think that the same can be said for a lot of other high energy breeds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A lot of that type of thinking has to come from people who have never had a dog before--or at least grew up around them but never took care of them. I know that we psyched ourselves up in preparation for all of the things we had heard and read about Beagles being difficult to train. I can't figure out if the fact that she wasn't difficult at all to train has anything to do with us being almost over-ready or if we just lucked out. We did months of research before we got Starla, and there are days that I even wish I would have read even more. We both have busy schedules, but we always make certain that there is plenty of time for her. If that means we can't go out ever weekend or every other night for dinner or drinks with friends like we used to, then that's what it means. We made a commitment when we brought her into our home and we are not going to wiggle out of it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think some people just see those huge, sorrowful, puppy eyes, adorable faces, floppy ears, not forgetting that elegant flag of a tail, and fall hook, line and sinker without doing any kind of research at all. Big mistake, but yes I agree I don't get it either!

Good luck to you if you go ahead and take on this little dynamo - poor babe- just needs a chance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
well, in the comic strip snoopy practically takes care of himself, so how hard could it be?
one of our first beagles was a rescue given up at six months because she was too big???
she was actually smaller than most in stature, although fatter than most as well.
I think they overfed and under exercised her and then blamed her for being roly poly.
what a sweety she turned out to be. my wife used to joke that she was so full of love she was swelled up like a tick.
people cant be explained.

·
Registered
139 Posts
this annoys me so much, in the uk on the beagle welfare site there are loads of beags and the same old excuse in ' they cant give it the time it needs'. thats because they DO NOT research the breed, they take 1 look at that face and they go get one. my life is busy as well, 2 kids, 2 jobs a home, a husband but we still make time to take the beags out for 2 hours every single day split into 2 walks, and in the summer, even more than that. they are a big commitment and they must come first, so like the other owner said, if it means i cant have as much 'me' time, then thats too bad. the beags didnt ask for us, we choose them, so give them the little they ask for. its not much, 2 meals a day, a comfy bed, some walks, some play and tons of love.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another amazing story, my Diabetic nurse called and wanted to GIVE us her Boston Terrier. They got her last year, but didn't realize how much "work" she would be. They work five days a week, their son, who is 17, is in Native Dancing contests over the weekends, so they travel quite extensively. They just didn't have time for this little girl. I said, what changed from last year to now...we'll we didn't know ....HUH? Obviously, we couldn't take her, but I did find her a loving home with a neighbor who lives alone, and loves having this little mite of a dog in the house with her. GOSHHHE#EEEE!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure some people make bad decisions given their schedules and dog experience. But I think sometimes it is the dog. Each dog is unique. Some breeds are suppose to be easy to train and you get the doozy with the one that is stubborn as all hell. Some are suppose to be hard to train and hey you get an angel.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmmmm what do you get when you cross and angel with a little devil? Mine, I guess :eek:) Gotta love 'em.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
My friend used to run a shelter and the stories she tells would make you cringe. Someone turned in a family dog because it no long matched the furniture. The dog she recently rescued is one years old and the owners were tying him to the back deck and leaving him there because he had energy.

A co-worker adopted a shelter kitty who is fearful and was having pee accidents. I talked him into giving her a try and now he has a great little kitty.

Did you go see the puppy?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I might be running into the same thing. After I lost my last beagle, I got a golden retriever, who is now 8 months old. I just found out from a friend that his daughter got a 6 month old golden, that wasn't her idea to get. Well, after one day, she want to get rid of him! All because he piddled once on her carpet! This week end I'm going to see him and see if he and my golden get along. If they do, he's comming home with me. Shoot I'll probably bring him home even if they don't see eye to eye right away!:yes:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think I might be running into the same thing. After I lost my last beagle, I got a golden retriever, who is now 8 months old. I just found out from a friend that his daughter got a 6 month old golden, that wasn't her idea to get. Well, after one day, she want to get rid of him! All because he piddled once on her carpet! This week end I'm going to see him and see if he and my golden get along. If they do, he's comming home with me. Shoot I'll probably bring him home even if they don't see eye to eye right away!:yes:
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure some people make bad decisions given their schedules and dog experience. But I think sometimes it is the dog. Each dog is unique. Some breeds are suppose to be easy to train and you get the doozy with the one that is stubborn as all hell. Some are suppose to be hard to train and hey you get an angel.
I'll admit, reading this thread has been very upsetting for me, so I appreciate Kutya writing this...

My husband and I DID research the breed before choosing to get our beagle, Abby in March last year. We knew having a dog...a beagle, in particular, would be very hard and alot of work - and we thought we could handle it. Unfortunately, we couldn't. We had to give her away last Fall. I posted on here (please feel free to go back and read it) letting you all know how bad I felt about having to do it and I got the most encouraging wonderful replies. Most people said that it was better that we figured it out now than to keep her (selfishly) and for her to be unhappy.

Boy, I see now how most of you REALLY feel about those of us that just can't have a beagle. Thanks. Thanks so much for making me feel AWFUL this morning!

Kelly

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would have to agree with kutya as well. I have 2 dogs that were angels, and my new puppy, is the hardest dog I have ever had. I am used to the high energy, endless attention seeking dogs, and this one is the doozy. I must admit, there have been times I have wanted to find him a home, because sometimes, even if you have the time, the dog just doesn't want to mold to your household, and after a while of hundreds of dollars of ruined items, urine ruining things, just not getting the training, etc, you get at your wits end and realize, this guy needs a different mold.

Take a job for example. You hire someone to work for your company, like all of the others. But, this person, no matter how many times you have 'warned' them, they just are not getting it. Then, you have to let them go, because keeping them could cause more stress, grief, and or damage for you and themselves.

Like barykelly, I think this is the situation for you right? You also have to understand that 8/10 it is for the reason of people not researching the breed, etc. I have run into countless people that, "Awe! I want a beagle!" And then when they ask how much work they are, they are like, "Oh...hmmmm...well, maybe not for me."

These encouraging words that you were given, were just that. We are not trying to pull you down. Just in this instance is where the anger comes out. Also, we could tell in your post about your feelings, etc. but in this case, it was the basic, we can't handle it so we want to get rid of it. At least you tried, and that's all that matters!

Do you guys get my point?? lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
I get it Amber. There is a big difference between people that give up a dog because they should never gotten the dog or a certain breed in the first place and those who give it up because they really tried to make it work, but for some reason it just isn't the best situation for both parties.

I am a supervisor at my work and I am responsible for hireing the people that work under me. Sometimes there is someone that I really like, they work really hard and want to do the job right, but it just doesn't work out. It is really hard because it just wasn't a good fit. Then there are others that are just *&%$3!.

Kelly, sometimes it just doesn't work out. The important part is where your heart is. If your heart is in the right place, then it is sad, but it may be the best to find a better fit with someone else.

A few months ago we got Niko and Yuki from a lady who couldn't keep them because their son was allergic to them. It was sad that they couldn't keep them, but it was best to find a new home. They are now thriving with us (though we do want to strangle them sometimes when they are naughty. But isn't that what being a beagle is about).

·
Registered
127 Posts
araine & Tucker - I appreciate your posts...they do make me feel better.

Thank you,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.