Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you lose your minds and or your patience with your beagle? I love Dodger, but he’s a holy terror sometimes he gets so excited he bites at my clothes, me while running and steels my mittens and won’t let me leash him up (normally he’s good about it) so I loss my mind and get soooo angry at him..he knocks me to the ground and bites at me and just won’t let me grab him I know it called the zoomies, but..... I get sooo angry doe anyone understand my frustration? By the way Dodger 10 months

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
He should be done with biting at his age.
1. Is he getting too much freedom in your house?
2. Are you playing excitable games? The more excited they get the biting starts.
3. Has your dog been to an obedience training class? If not find a good one asap.
4. Get a "Clicker" at the petstore and start clicker training. You can watch YouTube videos on how to use one. Use it consistently until you get things inder control.
5. Keep a leash on your dog while in the house...they think they're under control. You can grab it to stop mischief if necessary.
6. Talk to your dog a lot using the same words for commands.
7. Have you taught any commands?
8. Dont yell or spank it just makes things worse.
9. Once you come to grips with the idea that beagles dont settle down until 3 years old you'll feel better.. i know Ive had my dog from 8wks and cassie is now 8.10 years.
10. Stay on the forum for great advice from experienced beaglers. Ask all the questions you want.
Cassie says Hi..a former biter..lol

Here's a picture of a clicker..some may look a little different

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
Yes, for sure! They are 11 and 14 and they still can get my BP up! But of course 99.9% of the time they are my angels.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I find Xerxes incredibly frustrating sometimes...but he's also my little sweetheart, who we love dearly. We have a non-beagle teenager and I remember that biting well. At 10 months, you should be able to more firm with him when he crosses a line.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Yes of course. Judging by your profile pictures I always say to mine. You're lucky you're so cute and you're lucky I love you. Beagles can be a handful that is for sure. Maybe have a treat in your hand when you are trying to leash him. Make him sit. You are in charge not him. Remember that. Think how can I do this differently. Hang in there. They usually turn out ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts