Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie is now 13 months old, and STILL not potty trained. She goes in the house at least 1-3 times a day, both pee and poop. I have had dogs since I was a young child, and I have NEVER had a dog this difficult to train. I have strictly followed the advice from several books and from many members here, and it's all been for not.

The only thing I really haven't tried are the potty pads, as it goes against everything I believe in (actually, I won't lie...I did try them for a day several months back, but all she did was chew them and shred them up.) Well, today I broke down and put a potty pad upstairs and one downstairs. I just can't take the messes anymore. I don't know if I can train her to go on them, but I'm at witts end and don't know what else to do.

The only other thing we're hoping will help is obedience class. She has already attended a course of classes back when she was 7-8 months old, but didn't pass the course...the instructor said she was just way to immature and needed more time. Signups are going on right now, so hubby is going to try and get her enrolled in the next available class.

She has so much yet to learn...still chews on anything and everything, and basically just doesn't listen. When food is involved, she's right up in your face, and won't heed the down command. I could go on and on, but I won't, I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with housebreaking. When I adopted Daisy, they said she was housebroken. Well, maybe at <span style="font-weight: bold">their</span> house! She was at least one year old, and it still took about 8 months for her to finally get it.

I adopted another dog in November, a shepherd/hound mix. This dog is incredibly smart - learns commands/tricks within 10 minutes - but is still not housebroken! She knows she is supposed to do it outside, and when I take her out and give the command to go, she does it. But if she has to go and happens to be inside...

One bit of advice: Whenever I let Daisy out, I would say outside, then praise when she went. If I happened to catch her going in the house, I would pick her up and say OUTSIDE! OUTSIDE! OUTSIDE! as I carried her out. Not yelling, just a loud firm voice. One time she finally got it, and hasn't had an accident since. I hope it works with my new one.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We are having the same trouble with Casie. When we got him, his Breeder mother told us he was sort-of-housebroke Like you said, maybe at her house....he is now 18 months old, and still has those accidents -- just pee, but that's enough. AND he takes aim at my side of the bed at least once a week. I am getting tired of the couch --- and he sleeps in the crate on those nights, so we have the crying. I am getting tired of it, and already looking for a good carpet cleaner in the spring. GRRRRR

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't think the pads are that bad. I know many people who use them on a regular basis, and I do too, when I'm sick and can't take Chloe out. She will only use them when I'm home, but it's better than nothing.

If she gets used to the pads, that's a step in the right direction, I think!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I think we used pads with our dogs it's years ago now , we used treats as well.. I think the idea is you slowly move them towards the door then outside. Ours never chewed them and did go on them.
Good luck it certainly must be frustrating. I don't think I could handle messes inside. Ugg.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
yeah like someone said earlier you could definatly use them to your advantage, If you think she's about to go tap your finger on the puppy pad and say do your business, it might help her realize that their not for tearing up their for peeing on, etc.. I'm sorry your so frustrated
hang in there, she'll get eventually.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you tried hanging a bell low on the door so she can ring it when she has to go out? Thats how I trained all of my dogs. My Beagle picked it up really quick. All you have to do is ring it everytime you take her out and say lets go potty or whatever you say when you take her outside. Pretty soon she'll learn that if she has to go potty all she has to do is ring the bell.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We used pads for both of ours and it worked great for us. We just moved it outside when they got the hang of going on it inside. It will get better

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieYou're right Eleanor, if Maggie gets used to the pads, it will be a step in the right direction...even if it is a step backwards! LOL
I don't think it's a step backwards, but I can understand your frustration. It's just that if (and when) she gets it, even if she won't go outside, you can always lure her to use it in a place in the house where it doesn't bother anyone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Josie just got it one day. Charlie still has accidents. When he has to pee, there is no warning. When he has to poo, he paces and jumps at the walls. Problem is both will now whine to go outside so they can eat snow!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We adopted our two when they were six years old. Susi peed in the house for over a year. Two carpets later she suddenly stopped. We dont know what made her realise what we wanted but it happened overnight. She has been clean for exactly a year now. Hold in there, it will happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JoJo seemed to take alot longer than Jesie to toilet train. Every hour on the hour I would take JoJo out to the yard for toilet. If she went then while in the process I kept telling her what a good girl she was and as soon as she finished she would get a food reward and cuddles. Jesie was toilet trained by 16 weeks but JoJo wasn't trained until 20 weeks. Whenever I caught her in the act of toilet inside I would look at her and go umphf. She soon got the message that what she was doing wouldn't earn her a food reward.

I do ocassionally come home to a poo on the bathroom tiles. Usually if we've been out most of the weekend I will find a nice surprise when i get home from work. I think its her way of saying she isn't happy that we have left her for so long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts