Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a city where firworks are illegal though laws never stop the community from driving out to the indian reservation to get a huge arsenal of everything that is loud and bright.

So as it sounds like a war zone in the area I have a sleeping Scarlett in an open door kennel and have a Rhett that is laying down next to me.

And to think I was going to have to frightened kids on my hand!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Fireworks are legal in Bremerton, although the ones I am hearing now are the ones from the reservation that are not legal here. I am proud of Maggie too. She has been little nervous, keeps looking at the ceiling and barks at a few of the big ones. Mostly she is just staying close to us and dozing a little. I didn't have her last year on the 4th so I wasn't sure what to expect. My cats are in hiding in various closets. They will be getting me up about 3am when there are no more explosions. Glad your babies are doing well.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Way to go Scarlett and Rhett! :woohoo:

Certain kinds of fireworks are illegal in NC also... I want to say anything that leaves the ground is banned but it could be more than that.

I was afraid Abby would freak out but she was relatively calm, though I did stay in the house with her during the time when the booms and pops from displays could be heard.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It is illegal to set off fireworks in PA, but its not illegal to sell them... go figure.

Murphy hates fireworks. The booms upset him greatly. He always ends up in my lap scared.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There are fireworks stands all over around here. Every holiday (the 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day, New Year's) they set up in various parking lots or other large open areas. I passed at least three stands on my way home yesterday. I know some stuff is illegal, but I don't know what. Anyway, Jersey did great. She slept through it all. She couldn't have cared less. Thank God! She did however, get a little testy when her daddy kept snoring (he's sick and the snoring is awful, I slept with earplugs in last night). She got down off the bed and went into her crate when he got really loud. LOL!

·
Registered
388 Posts
We were not at home for the 4th, but on walks and that all week people were setting of pre-4th fireworks in the evening... Blackjack didn't even flinch. Not even phased by the sudden booms, bangs and pows. Of course that could come with growing up on a Military base, where his old familys house was... Where I'm sure there were great firework shows & shooting ranges... LOL.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We have alot of problems over here with fireworks around Bonfire Night (Nov 5th). The fireworks usually start around 20th Oct and finish after Dewalli (Indian festival of light) in Dec. Bonnie and Rasha are not bothered by them but Willow was frightened by a very loud one :angryfire: 2 years ago and now she is shaking virtually every night for a month. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Here fireworks are only allowed on New Years Eve, apart from special occasions run by the authorities. Susi and Snoopy dont seem to care and slept through the last two New years.
Our last beagle, Spotty, used to go absolutely mad and on a few occasions we thought she would have heart failure. We tried sedation, which nearly killed her, playing music loudly whilst we had our window blinds down, but nothing helped. How we hated fireworks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Here fireworks are only allowed on New Years Eve, apart from special occasions run by the authorities. Susi and Snoopy dont seem to care and slept through the last two New years.
Our last beagle, Spotty, used to go absolutely mad and on a few occasions we thought she would have heart failure. We tried sedation, which nearly killed her, playing music loudly whilst we had our window blinds down, but nothing helped. How we hated fireworks!
I have a neighbor who has a Dog who is so fearful of Thunderstorms they have to sedate her when their is severe thunderstorms or she will go into severe panic attacks and faint and do terrible things and urinate on things, poop out of fear, tear up the carpet, bite on her legs, if they try to calm her she attacks them because she is just in in just such a state of shock and panic where she is not thinking clearly & she is a BIG dog. etc... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif yikes

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here the fireworks ended about 12:20, but suzy and I went on a walk and occasionally she would turn around, but not scared at all. She is a VERY calm pup, the only time she gets excited is walks, food or car rides. :p

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I share the pain of others with dogs who are scared of fireworks (and firecrackers) - and glad to hear that Rhett and Scarlett don't seem to bothered by them.

Booker and Moose could care less about fireworks (and firecrackers) - but Popcorn is absolutely terrified of them. Luckily we don't really have a lot of them except around Halloween and a fireworks festival each summer. The fireworks festival is easy to work around (we just shut the windows and don't take Popcorn out anywhere around that time), but the firecrackers especially around Halloween are quite a challenge.

Our first Halloween was just about a month after we adopted Popcorn and she was a basket case anyway, but the firecrackers that people were setting off for the two weeks either side of Halloween really just about pushed her over the edge. We even had TWO situations where lovely people threw firecrackers AT us... After that experience, we were very careful last year to minimize Popcorn's time outside at night for those weeks - we would basically race out just before bed for a "kamikaze pee" then race back inside before she heard anything (even firecrackers way off in the distance would set her off). It was much better the second year as a result, plus I believe that the city has finally officially banned firecrackers since that first Halloween (not that doing so really stops anyone).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts