Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Arty to the dog park today. This was the second time I have been with him. I have had him for almost a year now, and i totally love him. For as long as I have had him, I have never seen him hump anything.

Well, today at the dog park, he would NOT stop mounting a BOY dog. It was the same dog (even though there were like ten other dogs running around). We were there for almost an hour and every few minutes Arty would try to mount that dog again, even after I pulled him off and told him "no" firmly. I was so embarrassed! I mean, everyone was laughing but still.

Since Arty is a rescue dog, I dont know much about his history. I know he does not really know how to play with other dogs (except today he did a little better than his first time, not counting the humping). Arty is also my first dog, so I am quite new at this.

Do you guys know if this behavior is normal? He has been neutered since he was a puppy because certain "parts" are not mature. Now I am kind of embarrassed to take him back to the dog park, but I really want to because he had such a good time. What should I do if he starts mounting another dog again? is there anything I can do to avoid this behavior?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Okay - "humping" is not necessarily "sexual" - it's a dominance thing - it's perfectly normal - happens a lot in my "pack" when someone wants something another "kid" has! Right now it CAN be sexual in my pack because two of my females are in "heat" - and are driving the boys (even the ones who have been neutered) crazy. Arty is just trying to prove he's the "alpha" dog! What I do at home if someone gets "carried away" is to use a squirt bottle - it breaks their concentration - and tell them firmly "no". I call the squirt bottle (AND ONLY USE PLAIN WATER) my "bad dog gun" - and often just saying, "where's my bad dog gun" will stop whatever behaviour I'm trying to discourage. I keep one down here in the family room and one upstairs - it's a great "tool" - doesn't hurt them, but DOES get their attention. Anyone who is familiar with dogs knows that it's just dominance - it's too bad they embarassed you by laughing. Dogs will be dogs!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm with beaglesmom, it sounds like dominance.
He just wants to show that he is the leader in the park.

The squirt bottle is a good idea, and you can also block him with your body when he is trying to mount another dog, to show him that you are the leader, where ever you go.

·
Registered
509 Posts
hahaha sorry have to laugh as my Glover does the same thing, although he is getting more interested in poodles at the moment....

I do agree though that its mainly dominence, Glover is getting better as he has learnt his lesson a couple of times..

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My sweet LITTLE Bella is always trying to prove that she's the alpha dog here. Especially if there's a bone involved and brother Jack has it. Poor Jack gets his head "humped" regularly /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . It's funny because she is a really small beagle - and Jack, while not a huge beagle, is much larger than Miss Bella. It always happens when he has something she wants. For the most part my pack isn't too bad - but when I "beaglesit" Bella's brother, it's a regular "humpathon" around here. He is an "only child" and tries to prove himself - especially with Jack for some reason. They're half brothers, mostly doesn't bother the others. Do you suppose Jack wears an invisible sign saying "hump me please"?? :woohoo:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The sex of a dog doesn't matter. Nor does having them spayed or neutered. It is totally a dominance thing as other posters have stated.

I had also thought that if you had a dog fixed before they were 6 months old that they wouldn't know what sexual urges or behaviors were either, but that is definitely not true. My Sam is as eager as Tate to mount Maya when she is going into heat and he was fixed at 4 months. Of course Sam mounts the male Siberian Husky next door all the time too when they get together for play dates. I eventually learned that all it meant was that he was feeling insecure and wanted to prove he was worthy.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Our vet told us humping has nothing to do with sex. They are just showing dominance. Our girl Sadie used to hump our boy Pooh Bear when she was young. I was moritified too thinking something was wrong with her. But she was just showing dominance.

Don't know why your little fella chose that one doggie to show dominance over though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree it is dominance. My pup Maggie tries to hump us sometimes. I was worried about it too, but my vet also said it was normal. Good Luck with the dog park.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better. I am wondering if he chose that one dog bc the couple who brought him in was sitting right next to me on the bench so maybe he thought he had to protect our territory? If that was the case, that sounds pretty darn cute!

Anyway, thank you SO much for all the advice. I feel a lot better now and Im definitely going to be carrying a squirt bottle with me this afternoon when we go back. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Probably everyone was laughing 'cause the same thing has happened with their dogs! I think I'd prefer the dog to dog humping than what Maggie did as a youngster. Had a friend over to the house. She was sitting on the couch and Maggie jumped up to say hello. Next thing I knew Maggie was "humping" her arm! Thankfully, my friend was a dog person and just laughed but it was embarassing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Our lovely senior, Misty, has humped all three of the other dogs at one time or another. It has to be a matter of dominance. I will say that she never did to to Miss Priss. :lol2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts