Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not about beagles but about a couple of dogs that live 3 houses over from us. I am so mad I needed a place to vent my anger I guess. The people that live there are a young couple that have only been married about a year and they are on the outs. He has moved out for now I guess. Anyway, they have two gorgeous dogs. One looks like an aus. shepard. There is a dog door on the front porch and they have an electrical fence so the dogs usually go in and out as they need unless the people aren't home and then they are usually outside. I'm sure everyone knows how cold it is. Those dogs have been left outside for the past four days in 18 degree temps, no food and the water in the bowl is frozen! :angry: I didn't realize they weren't being brought in, my neighbor across the street told me most of what was going on. The woman was there tonight (around 10 pm) and the dogs were outside. My neighbor was urged by her vet to call the cops and do something or those dogs may end up dead by morning. The cops were there when I went out with Sadie for her walk and there was no answer at the door. I asked my neighbor to let me know tomorrow what happens to them. When I came back from our walk the dogs were not outside. Don't know if they were taken or if the woman finally answered the door. Apparently, her husband is supposed to come and get the dogs. I can't believe she would be so uncaring to leave them in the cold with no food! :angryfire:
Okay, so that's that. I will let you know when I talk to my neighbor what is happening with the dogs. Hopefully, they are safe.

·
Registered
509 Posts
grr that makes me angry as well! I cant understand that sort of thinking ´oh my husband was suppose to come and pick them up´ what so your going to freeze them to death first?

I watch a show called Animal Precinct, its about the Aspca in New york, and there are dreadfull things people do to their dogs and animals in general, its just sad. I cant understand how you can hurt an animal.

anyway, getting carried away lol

hope those dogs are ok!

x
K

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watch that show sometimes too! It's aggravating because none of it makes sense. But then I think of our dogs as I would our kids.
They were back outside again this morning....we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I get so angry when I here about these things. It gets really cold here and I would never leave my dogs outside! We allow them enough time to do their business, run around a little and then inside. And they never stay out in the cold when we're not home! Arrgggg!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif I watch Animal Precinct too. It makes me cry sometimes.

Keep us updated on the dogs, at least they have caring neighbours like you even their owners don't give a ...

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Honestly, some people don't deserve to have dogs!! :grr: Animal Precinct upsets me so much, I can only watch it once in a while. But over the weekend I watched several episodes of Animal Cops--Detroit and Miami. In the last episode I watched, the police raided a puppy mill. Many of the dogs they rescued were beagles and a poor little doxie that was almost starved to death and had pneumonia. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif But the vet was able to save him and they convicted the puppy mill owners. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Let us know what happens with the neighbor's dogs. I hope the husband or somebody takes them away from her. I just don't understand people like that. We had a similar situation in our neighborhood this summer with a woman whose dog was left outside 24/7, barking most of the time, and finally a concerned neighbor called the dog warden. Of course the woman was furious and confronted the people who she thought had turned her in. I was outside at the time and walked over in case things got really ugly. (Like at 5'0" I could have been much help!) Anyway at one point the woman said, "My dog has food and water. But I'm not gonna have him in my house, messing up my carpet, getting my furniture dirty. He's not coming in my house." At which point I had to choose between jumping in and asking her just why the heck she wanted a dog anyway, and going home. Coward that I am, I shot her a dirty look and went home. :rolleye11: But shortly after that a For Rent sign went up in the front yard, and I haven't heard the poor dog in awhile.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That just makes me sick. I would like to see people that treat their animals that way ahve to endure the same thing they put their animals through. GRrr.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's horrible. I'm glad someone stepped up to the plate to help those dogs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Those poor dogs. I can't imagine how anyone could ever treat an animal like that. I often watch the Animal Cops shows and it makes me so mad to see what people do to their pets (half the time I'm crying my eyes out!). I'm like you Terri. Jersey is my baby. When people ask me if I have kids, I tell them "No, I have a Beagle". I hope those poor babies find a place where they will be loved and well taken care of.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My person (BF) who lives down the street and also works at a local animal urgent care always wants to know when there is an animal that needs help. So after talking to the neighbor across the street I went to my person's house and told her what was going on. First thing she said was "Thank God they don't have children." I have to agree with her only because that's how I feel about my pets. It's weird to me that others don't think of pets that way. Why have a dog?
I really hope that her husband comes to get them soon. I'm pretty sure the dogs were more his than hers. I hung out a little with them last summer along with some other neighbors and it seemed more like the dogs were his.

G

·
0 Posts
I hope those dogs are safe, or are going to be safe /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
187 Posts
Derby and Cowboy live outside, but when it gets down in the teens, we put them in the storage building(which has a heater). And we give them food and water. What those dogs are going through is awful. I hope there safe now.

BTW, I watch Animal Precinct, and I'm considering being an ASPCA officer someday.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't been able to find out much except what I have observed. My neighbor across the street hasn't been around so I haven't been able to talk with her. The dogs are still at the house but have not been outside at night since this happened. It's not the being outside the upsets me, it was the fact that they had been out for about 3 days straight without food or water and were out all night when the temps hit the teens barking and running around the yard. Haven't seen the husband around so who knows?

·
Registered
667 Posts
How horrible....I am a member of ASPCA and what they are doing is NOT acceptable.

Im glad you took action...but you need to go over there, talk to them about it in a humble way. If not, tell them you will take the dogs away, and you can if they are doing what you say...there is no reason for it,and it is neglect and abuse...you have to tell them and educate them....or I would treaten them..but that is me..

Please keep us updated.

Manda

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I had considered going over there to talk to them, or at least her because he is not there. I have spent time with them a little so I know them a little. The problem is, I work at night and they work during the day. So far, I haven't seen her at all and her car has been gone. I know that another neighbor that lives directly across the street is monitoring the situation pretty closely. She has been known for sometime as the neighborhood watch "dog" for the animals. She watches after the geese, squirrels, neighbors dogs, cats (although you're not allowed to have your cats outdoors here, it's a bird sanctuary). And since she was the one that met the cop and helped him get to the door without the dogs attacking him or jumping on him, I know that she is taking care of things and likely has already spoken to the woman. I just haven't seen her either, so I am completely in the dark. Starting to think that maybe I need to change my schedule! I never see anyone! :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts