Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my mom and I had to run out for a quick shopping run before my flight (needed to get business type clothes for the job fair). We left Arty in the garage with lots of food and water, since it wasnt going to take more than a couple of hours.

Well, when we came back, I noticed that the garage door was up about one foot and clearly that is enough for Arty to run out of. So before my mom even pulled her car up on the driveway I jumped out of the car and called for Arty, assuming the worst. I stuck my head in the garage through the ONE FOOT high crack and saw that he was no longer in the garage - AND i remembered that I didnt have his collar on him so there was no way to identify him. My heart dropped, my stomach turned over, and I seriously was about to pass out when I heard my mom say no look, there he is!!

Well, turns out when my dad came home he saw Arty was sleeping comfortably in the garage so he decided to leave him in the garage with the door open a crack (more like the size of the grand canyon!) before going inside so Arty could get more air. Arty then escaped out of the door - and ran straight for the front door, where he waited patiently to be let in. He was probably there for about half an hour before we showed up.

So, as I had my head stuck in the garage, Arty came running towards me from the front door (around the side of the garage) because he was so happy to see me. Thank goodness he stuck around!!!! I dont know what would have happened if he didnt... What a scare!!!!!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I bet your heart was pounding a mile a minute -- thank goodness Arty is so well-trained (and there were no rabbits lurking around)!

·
Registered
400 Posts
wheew, glad Arty stuck around too!

Java gives me scares once in a while too (although he usually likes to play hide-and-seek at HOME), but I check the sofa first since that's his favorite hangout spot. talk about having a mind of their own!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
OMG...you must have been horrified! What a good boy Arty was for not running away! Glad everything turned out OK.

BTW...what part of So. Calif. are you in? I work at a hospital in Arcadia, and I also know a couple of nurses that work at Huntington Memorial Hosp. in Pasadena and a few that work in Glendale. I'll check around to see if there are any openings. Are you close to any of these areas?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thank goodness for a happy ending!
Our first beagle, Bilbo, used to go to a family when we had to fly to the UK. During one of our trips Bilbo escaped from this family. The husband and wife both worked for the police and sent out messages to their colleagues to look out for her. Eventually one of them had the sense to go to our house, 7 kilomtres from where she was staying and a route she had never done on foot across major roads. There was bilbo sitting on our front door step.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Whew, what a relief! It's so good that Arty didn't take off when he had the chance.
I know the feeling you had when you thought he was gone.....sheer panic!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I know that feeling (thank you, Toby!)! What a good Arty, though!! He just wanted grandpa to let him in the house!! He probably wondered what mom was getting so worked up about!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
i had the same thing happen yesterday!!!!

first, i have to explain that i fell off a ladder trying to spray a nest of wasps. i broke my wrist friday night - thus the poor typing...

anyway, saturday was my best friends b-day and a group of us had planned a dinner/movie for a long time. i was going to go to the dinner and head home to bed.

jack was in the kennel as usual and half way thru the dinner i got a call from someone three blocks away from my house who had jack - but then he got away as we were talking. well, big, mature BABY ! that i am, i'm balling in the restaurant so my friends throw me in the car (lol)and off we go. by the time we got there they had caught him again and had him on a leash! i was so sobbing the lady could hardly understand me!!! she's a dog owner so words werent needed. also, jack (the little....)was jumping up four feet in the air when he saw me...

turns out he squeezed through a 5 inch gap between the fence post and the gate - see below. how can any dog fit through 5????
i even had the space blocked off with a shovel tied tightly in between the two. wow!!!! my first very painful lesson in beagledom. i'm so used to malamutes i thought i had time to change the gate. needless to say - the first thing i did today was go to lowes and buy the gate. i have felt so bad all day - i live on a busy street - when i think what could have happened....well, thanks for letting me vent - i needed to share my fear and guilt...

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yes, I am SOO happy he did not see any rabbits and the like - but then again, my parents live in silicon valley so the most Arty will see is employees from Apple Computers walking around.. which is still dangerous because he likes to run to people and get cuddles and treats.

Lilmaggie - thank you for noticing my sig!! I pm'ed you some of my information.

jack's mommy - I hope your wrist feels better soon! And also, i learned how tricky Arty can be (and he's not even full beagle!) so now I have taken to testing all possible areas of escape by standing on the other side with a treat and trying to tempt arty into getting it. If he can fit through, then I need to tighten the space.. which is also how I knew just by looking that the garage door was open too wide that day :)I am so glad Jack is okay... and although our babies gave us a scare, at least they had a bit of a fun run, huh?

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Beags are natural-born escape artists like Houdini! And never miss a chance to explore their world if given an opportu-
nity! Duke was an escape artist as was Snapper...but thank
goodness they were chow-hounds & did not stray very far from
their food bowl! Duke's last escape was thanks to the 1992/3
snow storm that allowed him to step-over his fence & when Goober was only 1 yr old he bolted from my front door to get
to Ted & Claudias gate to play with their dogs! Thank goodness
in that day, traffic was very sparse...but today there is traffic on my street every waking moment!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great to hear that both Jack and Arty are safe and sound.

But a 5-inch gap!? I'm pretty sure Oreo's kennel has the same sized gap. Maybe I'll run some chicken wire between it to make sure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A beagle can do many unexpected things when it gets its beagle brain set.
Our pet sitter was certainly surprised and alarmed when Li'l Girl escaped from the fenced area around the house when we were on vacation. Thankfully, like Arty, she didn't go far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts