Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago, Dusty ran into the house and asked if all the dogs were close to the house. When, I said Li'l Girl was out in the large fenced area he said, Oh, @*#@!
He'd just heard a shot, and a dog yelp.
Off he went on the ATV calling and looking for Li'l Girl.

Thank goodness, she came to the door immediately or I'd gone bonkers!
Seems there were a couple of dogs fighting at a neighbor's, and the guy fired into the air. Seems like there'd be a better way to stop a dog fight.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Oh gosh! I would have been scared out of my mind. My Basset Hound Fred was shot and killed when I was a kid by a hunter who mistook him for a deer. Yes, it's commonly known that Bassets resemble deer

I'm glad Lil' Girl came right away.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Sandy, what a fright! I would still be shaking! I guess that is one of the few downsides of country living.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank goodness all ended okay! What happened to using a water hose to break up a fight? Seems a better choice than firing a gun ...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hmm I can't say that firing a gun is the first thing that comes to mind when the dogs are fighting. Daisysmom that's terrible about your Basset, what are people thinking?? Sandyj gald li'l girl is o.k.!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oh that is awful! I would be terrified too! Thank goodness she is safe and sound. I could picture something like that happening up where I live too, scary.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just got goose bumps reading that. Thankfully living in the suburbs, shooting a gun into the air is very illegal and will hopefully never happen around me. I'm sick with worry most of the time anyway about my furry little ones and I would hate to think that something like that could happen.

You know Aliesha...I've never thought about how much a Bassett looks like a deer. lol I shouldn't laugh because that is very sad, but I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it years later.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMomOh gosh! I would have been scared out of my mind. My Basset Hound Fred was shot and killed when I was a kid by a hunter who mistook him for a deer. Yes, it's commonly known that Bassets resemble deer
Every year, when I was a kid, we would go visit relatives in Pennsylvania. There was a neighborhood dog named Boozer who used to always be roaming around the woods. He was super friendly and oh such an adorable hound (I think he was a basset/beagle mix). He became my best buddy. Every year I couldn't get out of the car fast enough to go search for Boozer. Then one year, my aunt told me the sad news, he was shot by a hunter by accident!
So many years later, I still remember that sweet little guy, maybe that is where my affinity for hounds comes from!

·
Registered
991 Posts
What part of a bullet once fired has to land someplace does that guy not understand!! I am glad Li' Girl was close to home. I would have been frantic!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
What a frightening experience, so glad Li'l Girl is o.k. Our biggest fear about one of ours getting out is the hunters might shoot them. Quite a few young deer get killed by dogs every year, so the hunters shoot any dogs they see hunting.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was very scary. Since our dogs are never out of the fenced area on our property, one would think we wouldn't have to worry about incidents like this. However, as long as there's an unthinking person on the other side of the fence, I guess there's not a guarantee of safety. That's a tradeoff for our country retreat, I guess.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Argh! How scary! I'm glad everything (and everyone) is OK.

About firing guns in the air: I've always wondered in movies, when someone fires into the air to get attention, where does the bullet come down? Why are there no movies about that?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Firing a gun in the air is to be one of the most half-witted things a person can do! It makes no sense to me. Last year some guy fired his pistol off on New Year's eve and it came down a half mile away and killed an eight year old girl in her home!! How could you live with your self after that.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That would have been scary. I am glad your Li'l girl's alright. Hugs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts