Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your beagles “stalk”?
Sadie will see a squirrel way down at the bottom of the back yard, and quietly slip through the flapper door. She then sits patiently at the top of the hill and watches it until she thinks it isn’t aware of her. Then she will move slowly closer, positioning herself behind a tree or other obstruction, where she waits some more. She gets as close as she can by doing this, then waits again before she charges out and...!!!

One of these days she’s gonna catch one.

Is this normal, beagle hunting behavior? Or does it have something to do with growing up in a house with cats? I think she tries to purr sometimes too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have a house of cats, I'd say Sadie picked up the strategy from them. Beagles are also pack animals and will pick up behaviors observing you and the other animals.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I bet it is fun to watch regardless of whether it is typical. Mine will stalk birds like that, but we don't have squirrels here. I also do not have cats so they certainly didn't pick up the behavior from them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Maggie definitely has had fun stalking and there have been no cats around to learn it from. The funniest part about her stalking is that there are no animals in sight! My favorite sequence of stalking pics is when she did a 360 around the fake Christmas tree one year.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie grew up with 4 cats and I have seen her creep on her belly through the grass trying to get closer to a bird. This seems more cat behaviour than dog behaviour.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Beaglina caught a rat like that - it was weird because it was so different to her usual energetic scent hunting - and when she's on a scent she hardly seems to use her eyes. (I have a cat too but he's not really the hunting sort so I don't think she got it from him!)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our Daisy stalks the bunny rabbit next door, she watches him through the fence all day and she has actually lost some weight
from doing this because she runs the fence all day, it has gotten in our yard before and OH BOY did we know it was there!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Susi stalks, usually birds but sometimes squirrels. She is hopeless at it as yet. Both she and Snoopy are good at mousing though. In a flash they dash at the poor beast. Strange thing is they didnt react when we had a mouse in the kitchen, they must have smelt it. I caught that in a humane trap and drove it a long way from the house before letting it go. These are field mice and so sweet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl will sit on the front porch looking through the spindles, and wait until she thinks she has a chance of catching a squirrel. She'll tremble with anticipation, but won't utter a sound before taking off.

In 8-1/2 years, she's only caught 2 squirrels, and we didn't see her do it either time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker just charges too. He has never gotten close yet....

He has picked up things from observation. When we first had him he would play tug of war just by pulling. When Jasmine came to the house, she would pull the toy side to side and she could pull the toy away from us despite only being 12 lbs. I think it was the terrier in her. Tucker saw her doing it that way so he took up the tactic too. At 45 lbs, he is a tough cookie at tug of war with this tactic under his collar.

We actually don't play this game too much because it gets him overexcited and he starts wanting to hump everything in the house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts