Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So we love taking Hunter out to a new area where other people walk their dogs. But the thing is, whenever he sees another dog he just goes on and off barking and howling. We quickly take him to a place where he can't see the other dog or dogs anymore, firmly say no, and walk again.
The only time he doesn't bark is if he actually gets to interact with the other dog, but this doesn't happen alot because he starts barking before we let him interact with the other dog so to say.
He gets along with other dogs very well at the dog park, where he is free to roam around. But when he's on his leash its the other story.
It's really embarrasing when other dog owners look at me in disgust. It would be nice to not have him go insane when I take him somewhere.

Other people just don't appreciate the beagle howl

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Same with Charlie!! I thought he would out grown it, but he is turning 3 soon still the same.
Hubby took him to Starbucks the other day, sat outside drinking his coffee, but Charlie wouldn't let him relax, poor daddy. Every time he saw another day passing by, he would grrrrr bark so loud that the staff of Starbucks came out to check on things. Daddy said it was so embarassing that he won't take him for a walk again.
I found out he only reacts like this when he is on leash, and with bigger dogs. When he is in the dog park he is fine. He would bark at some dogs who irritates him most, like won't share its toys or somethings.
I know how you feel, no solutions or advise given.
The trainer said because I didn't control him well, be firm, yeah right!
I think they are afraid of bigger dogs and when they are on leash, that's the only way they can protect themselves.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two still make a terrible fuss when out walking. They are 8 years old but didnt enter the big wide world until they were 6, due to being in research centres. My hubby doesnt mind the noise and most people round here just smile now.
As your beagle is young it should be possible to train him. One thing I saw on t.v. was that a trainer got a line of people with dogs,to walk past the dog being trained. The owner had to correct it eveytime it tried to go for the dogs. What helped with our last beagle, Spotty, was to get people to give our dog treats ( I would go ahead and ask people to do this, giving them the treat to hand our dog). With Spotty it worked, she soon looked forward to dogs coming the other way. To a certain extent it helped with our present two as well, they soon didnt mind strangers, but so far havent got used to other dogs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: A doghouseOur two still make a terrible fuss when out walking. They are 8 years old but didnt enter the big wide world until they were 6, due to being in research centres. My hubby doesnt mind the noise and most people round here just smile now.
<span style="font-weight: bold">As your beagle is young it should be possible to train him</span>. One thing I saw on t.v. was that a trainer got a line of people with dogs,to walk past the dog being trained. The owner had to correct it eveytime it tried to go for the dogs. What helped with our last beagle, Spotty, was to get people to give our dog treats ( I would go ahead and ask people to do this, giving them the treat to hand our dog). With Spotty it worked, she soon looked forward to dogs coming the other way. To a certain extent it helped with our present two as well, they soon didnt mind strangers, but so far havent got used to other dogs.
Sorry, Hunter is 7 years old! When we adopted him he wasn't like this at all. It's weird because he acted perfectly normal for the first 4 months then this behavior occured. That's a good idea though getting people to give him treats. I saw that on Animal Planet.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our two do the same thing!! Rocky is especially bad. As soon as he sees another dog walking towards him he goes nuts, and it IS embarassing! Daisy is not too bad, but when Rocky gets going she does too of course. We have tried distracting them with treats and being firm. Jason has even tried putting rocky on his side, but then people look at us like we're abusing him because he whines and barks while he's lying on the ground. Now if we walk WITH someone with a dog then they're ok, it's mostly when they're walking towards each other.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Fortunately Bodie hasn't learned to bark at other dogs while on walks. But he does stop dead in his tracks and lunges towards them if seen or heard. It takes several yanks on the leash to tear him away. And even then he stops and turns back constantly.

When he does encounter another dog, at the dog park or a friend's he plays very well with them.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Fortunately Bodie hasn't learned to bark at other dogs while on walks. But he does stop dead in his tracks and lunges towards them if seen or heard. It takes several yanks on the leash to tear him away. And even then he stops and turns back constantly.

When he does encounter another dog, at the dog park or a friend's he plays very well with them.
mine does the exact same thing! ....well we met a beagle once that howled like crazy and after 10 minutes of trying to c if the beagle wanted to play teddy just howled right back. His best beagle friend is an older 20 year old (yes 20, crazy huh) female beagle who really doesn't howl and just lets him romp with her. Also keep in mind that if your beagle is barking it might not be a bad behavior a hunting dog he might just be telling u I FOUND IT by barking and howling.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There was a Dog Whisperer a while back with a beagle that would bark at other dogs when he was on a walk. It turns out he was telling his master I Found It like Sephly said. When Tucker barks at things I try to acknowledge that I see what he is barking at and he stops. He usually only barks when he is inside and sees something out the window. On walks, he just wants to go meet the other dog. If I don't take him, he wimpers to let me know he isn't happy about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.