Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I haven't posted in a really long time but I have a question.
I was cuddling with Hunter and we started playing. I was rubbing his belly, (they really liked those belly rubs.. i know I would
. I then rubbed the area towards his left side close to his leg and he yelped for a bit. I was wondering what was going on so I gently touched that spot again and he yelped again and he did a little nipping action at my hand. I then noticed small little bulge in the area but not on his right side. It's not on the bone it's on the belly area really close to his leg. I'm sorry I can't desrcibe the area really well.

I'm keeping a very close eye on him now, he's not limping or anything, I'm going to take him to the vet if things don't get better tommorrow or the next day.. So I'm just asking what you fellow beagle owners think it is. If it helps, he's Nine years old and on a positive note I've had him for a year since the 16th of February.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm a bit obsessive, but any time I find a bulge or lump I have a vet check it out. Older dogs get fatty tumors which are usually benign, but they don't usually cause the dog to whimper when touched.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*UPDATE*

Hunter seems to be fine now. I took him out on our usual morning jog, and he seemed to love it, then we wrestled in the front yard for a bit and when I rubbed that spot he didn't do anything...just licked my face

I'm still going to take him to the vet to be on the safe side

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I agree, go to the vet. It will ease your mind if the vet finds nothing and if there is problem it is always best to catch it early.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Glad Hunter is doing better but I think going to the vet is still a good idea. I'm sure we've all been there and felt afterwards that we overreacted and shouldn't have gone to the vet, but that is hindsight and I still go every time I need to be sure. One time we took Moosie in for a lump on one of his toes. I think we had to wait a day for the appointment and when we got there the vet looked at his paw and found... nothing. We then examined each of his other paws trying to find the darn lump and it was nowhere to be seen. So we thanked the vet and left - luckily she took pity on us and didn't make us pay for that visit!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*UPDATE*

Hunter visited the vet today, she said that it's a fatty tumor and that we should keep an eye on it and monitor Hunter's behavior. She said for me to discuss it with my parents and if it's affecting his quality of life, which it isn't now, it should be removed.

Even though she said it's not alot to worry about, I'm still bummed out. I really don't know why, maybe because there is too much going on right now and now I have this on top of it... I dunno, I just love my snoopy dog so much.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Glad to read your update -- please keep in mind that that is the best diagnosis you could have gotten! My vet's philosophy about fatty tumors is to leave them alone unless the dog starts to bother them, they are impinging on an organ or in a spot that is irritated all the time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My boy has lots of fatty tumors..maybe 15 or so it seems just in the last few months he's getting them everywhere but my vet assures me he is o.k.. He got his first one at a year old but we have never had a problem with them. Just keep an eye on them like your vet told you but don't stress yourself over it.

I am wondering if this a beagle thing, anyone?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Glad Hunter is doing well and it's nothing major.

I'll with jen-jersey, I will take Coco to the vet at the sight of anything that could be wrong. He's like my child I look after him & care for him and also pay for all his medical bills

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Glad the vet wasnt concerned. Fatty tumors are usually no problem but keep an eye on it. Sounds like Hunter is fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts