Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunter had been acting like a regular beagle all day yesterday. Ate breakfast and supper, we went for a walk, she played with Casey, no problems. Mike came home from work and she wouldn't get up to see him. He had supper and she didn't go to see what it was.She always tries to check it out. He called her to him and she whimpered every time she moved. We checked her all over to see what was hurting and determined it was her back end by her tail and hips. I called my vet which was opened late, and they said to bring her in in the morning and if anything got worse to take her to emergency. When she started to shiver we took her in. When they examined her there he thought it could be a slipped disk in her spine. I told them I had an appointment with my vet the next day and so he sent us home with some pain meds and instructions to keep her in comfortable and quite. So when I am at our vet appointment they do an x-ray to rule out a slipped disk and the x-ray came back fine. The Dr. had checked her out and drained her anal glands which were infected and full, and that was causing her pain. Now she wasn't scooching, or licking or showing any signs of discomfort until last night. Everything was all normal. I was angry at myself for not noticing, but I don't know what else to look for. The vet said that sometimes there are no signs until they are in pain. Anyone else have some advice? She is doing fine now and on antibiotics for the infection and pain meds. What did I miss?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It doesn't seem to me like you missed anything. She probably had discomfort until it went over the line to bad pain. And if that is how it went, you caught it early! The minute she stopped acting like herself, you noticed it and took action.

Henry has anal gland problems. Sometimes he scooches but sometimes his symptons are atypical. He actually softly scratches at his side and towards his ears...that is a signal that his butt hurts. Go figure.

I don't think you missed anything.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I agree with Denise. If she was giving you signs earlier, it was probably subtle....so don't feel bad.

When Maggie's problems first occured, I didn't catch on to her quiet signals either. Even AFTER I caught on to her signals, there were several times she had a seizure before I realized she was in pain. Sometimes our pups try to hide their pain, and perhaps Hunter is that type of dog.

I'm glad she's on the mend. Sending hugs and kisses from my crew....especially from Maggie who understands.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It sounds to me like Hunter is such a happy dog, it took bad pain to get her out of sorts...

Don't feel bad, you acted as soon as she "told" you she hurt.

Hope Hunter is well soon.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Don't beat yourself up, dogs are very good hiding their pain.
Glad to hear she is all squared away now.
Abby sends get well licks to Hunter
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yay.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have never even had to get the anal glands done on my two ever so I wouldn't even know. I guess once you see the sure signs you would know but I don't know how else you could tell. I am glad that's all it was and not an actual slipped disk.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Shew, you should count your blessings that is was only an anal gland infection. If it had been a slipped disk she could have been facing surgery or lots of medications and lots of rest. You did great to get her in to the doctor quickly and get her diagnosed and on antibiotics.

Our first Beagle got an anal gland infection once. Sam never had to have his anal glands expressed that I remember. Our 2 now need theirs expresses every few months. But I remember one day Sam was just lying there, would not get up and play and looked terrible. He was still young then, and his normal would have been jumping around like a crazy dog. I took him to the vet and he laid on the back seat and didn't move. His usual would have been to jump from the front to the back seat and act hyper in the car. He was very sick. The doctor quickly determined it was an anal gland infection. But he had no scooting, no indications. I think this sort of a thing just comes on very quickly.

Anyway, I hope Hunter is feeling much better by today. Let us know.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I didn't notice that Rosa had an anal gland problem until a huge abccess suddenly formed and stuck out like an orange almost overnight. Before that she was fine and wasn't scooting or anything. These things just happen and you can't blame yourself for not realising.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts