Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now at 3 weeks with our new boy and I am really at the end of my tether, not necessarily just because iof issues but more that I cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. I think I have made a lot of mistakes along the way but am starting to think that I am not up to it but do not want to be that person who takes their dog back but I am so close to throwing in the towel.

Mistake number one was I live alone, my kids come and stay every other weekend, often more frequently but mostly it is just me so I have no help, I work from home 100% so am at home, I would never have got a dog if I was out all day.
I was sick for the first week too which really did not help either. I had a couple of weeks off but I am thinking now that a month minimum off of work was probably needed.

Choosing a Beagle - Yes I know wrong forum to say that! We have 2 cats so my reseach was focussed on what dogs are good with cats and Beagles seemed to figure near the top of all such lists. 3 weeks on this is not the case at all, my house still needs to be separated as the cats are scared of him. It is overly rough play rather than anything really aggressive but if anything it is getting worse not better. It is not fair on the cats who were here first and is an extra layer of difficulty.

Toilet Training has been 1 step forward 3 steps back, my house has a hard floor which on the surface seems good for clean up but I am not sure it is, there are cracks between each panel so with each accident some must seep down between them and is impossible to cleanup 100%. Therefore despite taking him outside and rewarding each time etc etc I honestly do not think he can tell the difference between inside and out and thinks the lounge floor is fair game. The good days are really only because I spot the signs quickly and take him out rather than him actually learning at least that is how it feels. That is not sustainable of course. I feel totally helpless with this one as there are not many spots where he has not pee'd and despite my best efforts my downstairs is probably fell of scent now

Separation anxiety - Which when coupled with toilet training is the perfect storm even leaving the room for a few minutes but still in ear shot usually results in an accident so I am left with crating him or putting him his garden run just to pop to the toilet or make a cup of tea! Ironically overnight in his crate he is fine and also seems fine if I go out so it seems to be if he knows I am still in the house.

My garden - Stupid mistake but I did not realise that I had a lot of toxic plants and shrubs, Wisteria, Virginia Creeper, St John's Wort, Clematis, some palm thing to name a few. I had a mad rush to cut them all down but with leaves remaining, some coming over from next door and an area I am not really sure about I have been reluctant to let him out in the garden. I got a run which is about 5mx3m, he likes it especially in the afternoon when the sun is out but it feels like I am cheating so do not over use it. I guess In feel like crating him or putting him the run while I do something is not addressing the real issue an I also have to carry him out to it to avoid him bolting around the rest of the garden.

Biting - He has been quite aggressive with certain toys and also has periods of basically hanging off of my trousers, shorts shirt etc or biting me. This has got worse too, in the first week or so he would sit by my feet and lick me now he just bites Trying redirecting techniques but so far no dice, usin g his rope toy works to a degree but just ends up making him more aggressive as he gets pretty hyper after a rope wrestle! As for visitors he goes totally crazy!

I honestly cannot remember being as stressed and unhappy and I am angry with myself for how narrow my research was I was so worried about getting a dog that would be good with cats I overlooked the broader stuff. The only thing keeping me going is that I can take him out from tomorrow but deep down I know that is unlikely to change much unless I properly resolve the above and if I do not I will have an unsustainable situation. Has anybody else been similarly near the end of their tether? if so how did you push through it? Would it be wrong to call this and take him back?

For those that read this far sorry for the long post!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Believe me I understand! When I rescued Molly she was 2 and I had two greyhounds already. I brought her home in a huge snow storm so training got off to a bad start. I took her to a basic manners training class which helped her with socialization and focus and taught me how to work with her. one day I did a complete re-set and started potty training as if it was day one with a puppy. After a few days she finally understood that potty was for outside, big time praise for good potties. Some others might chime in here with tips for the cats. I just remember rewarding my greyhound when he behaved good with the kitty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am considering getting a proper 121 trainer in for some bespoke training. I do feel like I am burning through cash. The toilet woes are really frustrating in that I think he gets that outside is potty, he just thinks that inside is too!

With the cats it is maybe a question of whether he can be trained to stop or leave things when he is super hyper otherwise it feels like waiting for him to grow up!

So far with my training we have only really nailed sit and coming to his name but they do not stick if he is really excited, well sit does eventually. Down is a WIP and he's only got it when guided down by the treat, leave is again an early WIP in that I can get him to leave when a treat is in my closed hand but as soon as that treat is visible he loses all self-control!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
With respect to the peeing inside - are you cleaning with a cleaner that goes rid of enzymes and pee odours? You can buy them in pet shops or places like Amazon. We found them to be a godsend when potty training Agis (and Neb all those years ago).

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ill start by saying im a puppy survivor... its great you're home full time..
*Get a Clicker.. its a cheap training tool.read up on how to use one.
  • get a crate and use it for helping with house breaking. NEVER use it for punishment.. my dog is 9.8 yrs and loves her crate. She goes in often on her own..
  • create a restricted area or your dog will pee and poop everwhere and get into mischief.
  • take your dog out for potty breaks ON A LEASH and use the clicker.
  • there are lots of videos on line on training.. much cheaper than hiring a trainer at this point. A trainer is best at about 5 months.
  • talk to your dog using the same words so it starts to understand.
  • soon your cute dog will start puppy biting and nipping.. IT'S NOT AGGRESSION.. read up on curbing it.. dont yell or spank..
  • it takes LOTS of patience and consistency.
  • now understand that puppy beagles take about 3 yrs to calm down.. but you will be rewarded with a very sweet dog.
Stay on the forum for help.
Cassie says Hi ( who was a biter)
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort

Dog Vertebrate Dog supply Dog breed Toy

Head Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using the simple solution enzymatic solution

He loves his crate and is very good in it overnight and is also ok if I go out, he is however not always ok in it if I am still in the house for some reason, depends on his mood. This makes small tasks like popping to make a cup of tea (Yes I am English!) or feeding the cats, or making my own dinner or even having a shower tricky.

I am going to go back to the leash and reverse the run panels to enclose the questionable shrubs and plants around the edge rather than the dog I think.

Re the biting I have just been trying to redirect him to his toys whenever he does it or to ignore him and stop playing.

Just the 3 years you say?????
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Pet supply

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
He's very cute..but i do detect some mischief in those eyes...heehee.
Anyway.. we're here for help and questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at getting a crate cover. Right now only the top is covered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the all of the replies.

I am not going to go as far saying a corner turned but I think I can maybe see the corner in the distance. 4 days accident free (crossed fingers, touching wood etc) and now he can go out too. Walking is going ok, well the walking part needs some work but he has made a few doggy buddies already.

Cats are still a concern and I feel sorry for them. Play is still too rough for them, they do not push back (basically just sit there and take it) so he is not learning there but hoping that will change.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ask your vet when its safe for your dog to play with other dogs..its usually after all the vaccines are given.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ask your vet when its safe for your dog to play with other dogs..its usually after all the vaccines are given.
The vets said a week and we are at a week plus 3 now, was anxious taking him out though, normally would have waited 2 weeks to be double safe but I think it has been good for him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeez, huge face palm and I am starting to think this was not meant to be. I reversed the garden run/enclosure panel to enclose any potentially remaining questionable plants and give him the safe run of the garden or so I thought.

My house was extended and there is lead flashing at floor level around the extension and guess what? Yes he has started to chew it! Now lead is serious stuff so this is not one where I can give him any time to learn as I understand it even a small amount could be serious plus of course if he bites through it then my house might start to leak! Temporary solution in place (see photos) but I need to find a longer term as I am not sure I can leave that exposed now.

Building Brickwork Wood Road surface Brick

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You have a puppy..my dog wanted to chew rocks, wood, concrete..chew chew chew.. BUT it does get better. By the way..that fenced area is not big enough..your dog is growing fast and that space wont be adequate.
This is a challenging time but it gets better..you have to adjust and be creative accordingly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
..that fenced area is not big enough..your dog is growing fast and that space wont be adequate.
If you are referring to the photo I just attached, that is to keep him away from the lead not to contain him! It is makeshift until I figure out a better way stopping him from chewing lead.

If you mean the photo I have posted on another thread then that is also gone, have used it to fence in the shrub areas so he now has the the whole garden.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Are you outside with him in the garden? Supervising will help with the chewing and will let you communicate to him what is acceptable/unacceptable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not always when working from home but I can always see him as my desk looks out to the garden, the idea was to have a safe area for him to be in and he does love it out there.. I try and limit the time he is out there while I am working though as A - it will be cold soon, B - It distracts from my work having to keep an eye on him and C - I fear it may blur the lines with toilet training. We are at day 8 now accident free but I am still a million miles from saying he has cracked that one yet.

Feel like a I need a long term solution as I am not sure he will chew much less when he is grown up and lead at ground level is just a big risk for any animal really.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I have a good size yard and thought it was good for my dog to roam around in but I soon found out that she could
get into mischief like digging in planters and not come out of bushes dedpite a large lawn to play on. I eventually decided to get the foldable fencing in a large quantity and created a large area within my yard so I could better control the trouble she gets in to. It has worked great now for a number of years. I connected the large pen area to a patio so that when it gets wet and muddy I could close off the grass area when conditions deteriorate. This is how I dealt with my situation.. this idea evolved over time as I saw her grow and get more active.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts