Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my beagle pup for two weeks now and things are going really well. Me and his mommy have been very dedicated, loosing plenty of sleep and free time along the way! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Anyways, the problem lies in his seperation anxiety when we leave. Before we leave, take him out to 'go' twice, feed him, and play with him for at least an hour. Still, he barks and howls when we leave, and the neighbors don't appreciate it. He hates kongs, but I a lot of toys with him and I also give him an ice cube as a treat.

I am looking for any tips available. I have learned that the more exercise he gets in the morning, the better he is when we leave. However, as a pup, the vet and many others have recommended not to walk him around much. What are some good inside the house games that can tire him out?

If he doesn't get better at this we will have to try a muzzle that allows him to pant and drink water as we live in an apartment that will not tolerate barking.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
do you leave a radio or tv on when you leave?
Do you put peanut butter in the Kong?
I'm sure you will get lots of great ideas to try from everyone.
Hang in there and good luck! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
He is crying and fretting because he is missing his pack, in other words you.

have you tried cheese or ham in the kong? or chicken paste?

My boy dog as a puppy fretted a lot and we had a dog walker in to break up the day, so he was left no more than two hours. Most dogs can do about 4 hours but after that most young dogs need to go toilet. I dog walk for a living and have for 3 years plus.

he should get better with age. I know some vets can give medication for severe anxiety.

Have you tried some herbal remedys to calm him down.

You can buy remedies at places like petsmart.

Do not make a big fuss when you leave, distract him with a treat and slip out. Leave a radio on and maybe leave him with a special chewy treat.

Could you build up his immunity to being left by crating him and going out the house for two minutes, standing outside listening and going in when quiet and do not greet him at once, go in and let him out after a few minutes and keep things low key. Maybe you could increase the time slowly he is left. he is panicking thinking you are not coming back.

I tried a bark collar with Caleb at about a year old as he was very barky, but he outsmarted it very quickly.

Solitary boy beagles can be quite needy and Caleb was better with a companion beagle, he bonded with the new dog and they formed a mini pack and keep each other company, then he was not so focused on me as Caleb is a very much a mummy's dog and is still to this day but is better at being left.

getting a second dog does'nt lesson the bond the first dog has with his owner, having a 2nd dog enhances his life as he has a beagle friend as well as his humans.

I am sure other will have suggestions for you too. It is not nice when they fret when you are out, even nastier when you have neighbourt from hell who whinge about your dog, we moved away from one of those last year!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hmmm...well I used to live in an apartment with my Lucky. I left a CD on him (it is dog music that was researched to make dogs calm down) and gave him plenty of toys. I did confine him to a room not a crate though. He was locked in the bathroom while we were gone. He did destroy toilet paper and shower curtains so everything had to be put away. The only time he barked when I left was when he was in the crate. I'm not sure if this helps or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts