Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am in desperate need of advice.
We have a 9 week old Beagle puppy called Bean. She is the most affectionate and cuddly pup and love her to bits. During the day because we can't yet walk her as she is due her next vaccine in few weeks, we play with toys, fetch and run around the garden. She is a great sleeper during the day and are encouraging her to sleep in her bed and not with us on the couch or in our laps. At night however, no matter if she is the sleepiest dog in the world, the minute we put her in her cage, she freaks out and howls the entire night.
We have in with her, her favourite Teddy, a blanket that came from her mom, a hot water bottle and a ticking clock, but nothing is working!
We have tried ignoring her, going down to tell her to stop and also going down and trying to calm her... again nothing works. We've had her now for 10 days and she hasn't slept a single night.
We want to make sure she is happy and comfortable.. but are just not sure how to calm her down at night.

Advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Crate training can be tough. We had some success covering Agis's crate - but I'd also stick my fingers in til he settled and went to sleep. Eventually I didn't have to do that. Can you give her some sort of chew in the crate?

Second thought - it sounds like the crate isn't in the bedroom? Can you put her in for naps during the day, with a PB or canned pure pumpkin puree in a frozen kong to let her chew on it and then hopefully just sleep?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Welcome.. im a puppy survivor. These early days are rough but will pass. Give your dog periodic naps in the "crate" during the day so your puppy gets used to it.. my dog is 81/2 years old and still loves her crate and will go in it for naps and sleep at night on her own. Put a sheet or towel over the top so it make it more cozy. Never use the crate for punishment or "time out" so your dog doesnt like it. Your puppy is a baby. Give your dog a little treat each time your dog goes in the crate so it thinks of it as a good place. Show the dog the treat and toss it towards the back so the dog goes for it then close the crate. Dont give the dog a lot of freedom in the house..or you will have pee and poop accidents and chew destructions. Puppy beagles take awhile to get potty trained.
Another point... have a secure yard so your dog doesn't run away or get stolen. Beagles follow a scent and will run away. They are not off leash dogs.

Stay on the forum for advice. Read about puppies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts