Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Safe to say, our pup will not be a loud boy. 5 months old, and I think he has howled a grand total of twice in his life so far.

However, I have heard some say that their beagles never howled much as pups, but acquired the skill later. So, my question is..... at what age can you tell if you have a beagle who isn't into howling? It's not that he can't.... he just chooses not to. He is also a big time couch potato as well, so it may just be that howling is too much effort for him! I don't think he will be loud ever (frequent howling), but want to know if it is too early to say he is eerily quiet for a beagle yet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I actually tend to believe more to the theory that a quiet pup will be a relatively quiet beagle. It doesn't mean that he won't howl, but not at everything and answer back all the time.
Chloe howled as a puppy, very little though, and she now only howls at extreme situations.... usually as a follower when her pal Abby howls at something.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yep, Java rarely made any noise when he was a pup, and now that he's 14 months, he's still a quiet dog. He'll bay only if I coax him into doing so (if I start to howl).

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow, you're lucky if your pup has only howled twice and he's 5 months old. I think Bodie started barking and howling at around 3 months old.

There are two types of barking/howling you need to be aware of. First, the normal bark. It may be brought on because your dog wants food, a toy, your attention, another animal, boredom or just about any other distraction or want.

And then there's Beagling! And unfortunately there is no stopping your dog during these outburst. Bodie will start beagling during walks when he locks in on something and/or he smells the cat in the backyard. He'll go around beagling looking for her.

We've found managing normal barking manageable with daily walks, needs met and lots of attention. As for the beagling, I don't think we'll ever be able to curb that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
At a year and seven months, Spock seems destined, so far, to be quiet. I did hear him barking at Bones yesterday when they were in the back yard discussing ownership of a rawhide chew. Miss Bones, at a year and nearly five months, is a loud dog and has been that way since the first day we brought her home. (At least she's getting better - she responded to no bark commands when we were in PetSmart yesterday and quiets down if either my boyfriend or me pops outside when she's barking in the back yard.)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The litter of pups we had most recently all howled by about 4 weeks of age. Of course the mother is a howler also and taught them well. Maya's two litters that she has had did not produce ANY howlers that I am aware of anyway. Certainly not by the time we placed them in their forever homes, but a few of them stay in touch and I have not heard that their dogs are howling. I honestly think that some Beagles are more prone to do it than others. Perhaps the ones from hunting lines are more inclined or ones that are left as outdoor dogs more than indoor. Who knows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
tye is about 5months old and hes a barker and he howls at extreem things (which is quite funny) his mother was a barker and his farther was more of a howler lol joy lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buddy does kind of a bark and tries to howl at the same time. It kind of sounds like he is hurting himself. When i picked him up at the airport people were staring and they thought something was wrong with him.

He does it when i dont feed him at the right time, sometimes when he is playing out of excitment and when i lock him in the kitchen he goes nuts and does it. Good thing i dont live in an apartment or they would call the cops and think someone is dying.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Maggie has barked and howled incessantly since she was small...probably 2 months old. My previous beagle never barked or howled as a puppy, and as an adult she was relatively quite...only barked if she wanted attention or food.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie bays if she sees a raccoon or picks up a scent from a raccoon that walked through the yard the night before. She barks if someone she doesn't know approaches the front door. Otherwise she is pretty quiet. My friend's aussie barks more than Maggie does.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
The first time Charlie barked was at his very early age 14 weeks.
I brought him home, I was working in the yard didn't want him to run around so I tied him to a bench. He gave a very loud yelp, I couldn't tell if it was a bark or a howl. I got scared, my neighbor came over to see it I tortured him. Then on he picked up the skill. Loud and Clear!!!! hehe

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Actually all Beagles have the ability to vocalize in 3 ways. A normal bark when excited or want something, the beagle howl for expressing emotion of some sort and a yelp/yodel when they are tracking.

Beagle #1, Bama, is a howler and when he and Vinny are together, Vinny will howl. My very unscientific theory is Beagles that come from hunting stock like Bama, have more tendancy to vocalize beyond the bark and this can rub off on other Beagles they are around like Vinny. Single owned Beagles may never discover their ability to make different sounds if they never hear them................. and maybe not

·
Registered
421 Posts
my sophie is pretty quiet most of the time. however, pull out a tape measure, and she will vocalize! hahahaha

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two didn't bark or howl until they were about a year old.

We have alot of people who walk there dogs in our neighborhood and you can always tell who is walking by, just the way they react.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Menolly never howled until she turned 5 mos old, but she has gotten more vocal as time goes by. Recently she has taken to 'tracking' the cat and vocalizing when she finds a strong scent. She is not an incessant barker, though, and she's always quiet at night.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Henry is a beagle/German shepherd mix, and when I adopted him, he was very quiet in the shelter, no barking at all, but I figured it would come later. I was very prepared for a vocal dog. Boy, was I wrong! He is the quietest dog I have ever known! He whines a few times a day but that's all.(Like if I'm in the shower too long and he wants me to come out of the bathroom) He's barked maybe 5 times in the year I've had him, and in different situations. It's like he knows how to bark and chooses not to. He tracks beautifully and loves to use that nose, but only twice have I ever had the chance to hear him in full bay. It was on a fresh deer trail both times, and it was beautiful, so loud and deep, not at all like Henry. So there's my 2 cents, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts