Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been looking into Beagles and am interested to know how vocal the breed tends to be. I understand that all dogs are individuals and some will bark way more or less than other dogs of the same breed, but I would like to have at least somewhat of an idea on what to expect if I do decide to one day own a Beagle. So out of curiosity, how loud or quiet is your dog?

Thanks 馃檪

Registered
They do bark..its taken me a lot of work to get my dog to quiet down.. the barking was mostly outside so if you have a large garden it might be fine.. i did consult my dog trainer who owned several beagles and I was advised to use a bark collar. I only had to put the collar control on pulse to keep her quiet.
Now if my dog is in the yard I can just say NO BARKING and point at her..she stops...lol. the bark collar is not for inside the house and should not be used until 6-7 months old.
So consider if you have close neighbors.. that said..they are wonderful dogs. Also lnow they are not off-leash dogs. They will run away following a scent.
Cassie is 10.5 years and says Hi!
Vision care Collar Eye glass accessory Bag Belt buckle

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in a rural area, but do have a few neighbours close by. I honestly wouldn鈥檛 mind the barking, but unfortunately I doubt my family would be particularly happy about it. It鈥檚 a shame - I adore the breed and other than the potential noisiness, it seems like a good fit for me. With that said, perhaps the Beagle isn鈥檛 right for this current time of my life.

Aww, Cassie looks like such a sweetheart and I absolutely love her name! Thanks so much for the response 馃槉

Registered
Wise of you to research breeds. I read a lot about beagles and went for it anyway... i talk to my dog a lot using the same words and she totally understands me and follows commands. In the beginning I thought..what did I do!...lol. but she is sweet and has done a good job training ME...
Seriously how can you not love this face...
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Comfort

Super Moderator
I have had 4 beagles over the years and all of them have been so different in their vocals. My first beagle, Benny, was pretty quiet except for barking out the front window. On walks he was quiet. Vazzle was pretty quiet in the house but VERY vocal if she caught a scent or saw another dog. Molly was super quiet on walks and in the yard but a pain with barking out the window or at my husband every time he came in the house. Last and not least, Oliver. He was more barky in his younger days but now at 13 he is pretty quiet inside and outside. My beags except Benny have been rescues so they came to me with certain issues. Vazzle was a hunting dog before I rescued her at the shelter.

Registered
Ally was a quiet beagle to begin with; when she would start to bark at someone outside for the heck of it, I told her "no bark" (and lol, I barked so she associated no bark with a bark, now I'm not sure that did any good but I'm silly like that). She was also on the shy side for a beagle (she was gun shy also, which is why she was put up for adoption). My cousin's beagles were noisy but only barked outside not inside but you could hear them a mile away. They were hunting beagles so trained to bark.

Registered
Xerxes has never barked in all the years we've had him. He does have an extremely loud, piercing bay however, and he's more than willing to unleash it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts