Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it's a beagle thing? But when Johnnie gets VERY hyper when she does, she will turn on her back make noises and gets so excited then starts digging like nobody's business. Now when I try to get her off I get nipped at by Johnnie

How would you deal with it?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: SandyjI wouldn't allow her on the furniture.
Right!

Another option, is have her leashed in the house (monitored of course), and when she is into the digging frenzy, pull her down and scold her.

Another thing to address here is Johnnie nipping! That shouldn't happen under any circumstances!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've not seen that behavior in any of my beagles. Tate will lay on the floor and wriggle all around some times, but that is as if he is scratching his back on the carpet.

I don't find digging on furniture unless there are blankets and/or pillows they are trying to move around. I just try to distract them from the behavior or move the object they are trying to maneuver so they don't have to.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
hahaha that picture of Tate is awesome!

The only time Zelda digs on furniture is when she's trying to hide something... like a piece of a bone or a toy.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Both Roscoe and Cole dig on the furniture. They do this when they are preparing to lie down. They walk in a circle, dig, and then curl up and lie down. They do not do any damage and this is ONLY before they lie down. Roscoe stops when I address him and Cole is still learning!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Another thing you might try is to squirt her with a water bottle everytime she digs or nips at you when you try and get her off the furniture. Water bottles are a great teaching tool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts