Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 11 month old beagle (Dylan) used to be bad for running off if we let him off the lead. We worked really hard with him and got to a point where he would come if called and never ran off. We could play fetch on the park by our house for hours.

Over the last week he seems to have gone back to his old ways. Does anybody have any advice for stopping this. I know a lot of beagle owners say never to let them off the lead but that's no fun for us or him.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with Eleanor. I never ever let mine off leash. I have known a FEW beagles who were trustworthy, but they are very rare. I wouldn't trust any of mine off-leash any farther than I could throw them.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
It think it would take work with a very experienced trainer to get a beagle to really be reliable for recall. My property is completely fenced in, yet I still take Molly out on a leash because there are so many areas she could squish under the fence. I have been working slooooooowly with her to be able to come off lead and follow me into the house.

I also have two greyhounds and that breed is VERY rarely seen off lead. Being sighthounds and super fast, again it would take someone with great training skills to have a grey that can be off lead. I have seen it though, owners take them to the beach to run and the dogs come right back to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you should look into enclosed training areas to do some off leash teaching. Some Cities have very large enclosed areas just for training dogs off leash.

I would love to be able to have enough trust in my Gabby to let her off leash, but I honestly am not sure if I ever will.
My husband left the back yard gate open one night which I did not know. I let Gabby out to go pee and all of a sudden I see her at the front door trying to get in.
Thank goodness she loves us as much as she does or she would have been gone. We had to play a game of catch the dog for 2 very long minutes before we cought her.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've read a little bit about puppy stages of development (though mine is a 6yr old puppy;) and it seems as though there are some points at which a growing pup will seemingly forget all his/her training and you have to go back to square one.

So it's possible that your 11-month old is going through one of those adolescent periods. Perhaps you'll be able to recapture the training you had accomplished beforehand if you just treat it as going back to the beginning?

But I have no practical experience with this sort of situation, only what I've read. Bridy's suggestion about fenced-off areas seems like a good one - maybe an off-leash dog park.

For the record, I can take Oreo off-leash for short periods in the backyard but I'm apprehensive about doing more than that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Bridy's idea of practising in an enclosed area is good, and if you have a very long leash you could go back to training Dylan on that.

It's not true that Beagles can't be taught recall skills but - in my experience - you have to work on it a lot. Mine is 2 years old now and goes off the lead every day, but we also practise recall and training every time we go out, we can never assume 'oh ok, she's got it now'.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles are not reliable on recall. There noses rule their brains, and once they smell something... its off to the races. Its that simple.

IMHO: A leash and a fenced in yard are requirements for beagles.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Everything I've read and been taught says NEVER let your beagle off the leash. They are scent hounds and that scent and trail are far more important than the sound of your voice.

Cathy J

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The only way ours is off leash and outside is in my fenced backyard. No way, no how will my Beagle be off leash outside of a fence.

Instinct just can't be trained. A Beagle is nothing more than a nose with a dog along for the ride.

In other words: the FORCE is strong with Beagles

·
Registered
889 Posts
We've only had our beagles about a year (they're about 3yrs old), but I don't ever let them off leash. Both have gotten out the door before and although I can usually get Daisy to come back, it's tough. It seems the best way we can get them is thanks to their busy noses. They just can't resist the urge to stop and sniff and that's when we can snatch them up.
I would LOVE to be able to let them off leash but I agree with many here, it would take consistent practice, practice, practice... and then some more!

·
Registered
139 Posts
i think maybe he is going through his adolescent stage and is playing you about a bit !! lol. keep up with the recall training. we let meg off the lead in certain areas only. there are no dog parks in the UK so we only do it in the park by us when she is playing fetch the ball but we have to take cheese or chicken with us and show her it before she gets let off. she knows that if she brings the ball back, she gets a treat so it keeps her coming back. however after about 20 runs, she gets bored and we can see the signs !! so we get her back on quickly. also if her doggy friends turn up, we let her off to play with them as we feel mean keeping her on a long lead while all the other breeds run round and play. but the same again, as soon as she has lost interest in the game with them, we see the signs and get her back on the lead. you need to know your beagle and watch for signs. as soon as she starts wandering off further away and sniffing the air, we grab her !!! each beag is different, and we all know our own.
lately we walk by another park on a morning and there are a few owners who meet up and let their varous dogs play together, because i feel so mean with meg on the lead, i have started letting her off the lead to play with them. i only do it for ten minutes and always have some cheese with me. the only thing is that then i get surrounded by all the other doggies wanting some as well !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts