Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as you guys head out of your winter, we head in. It will be our first winter with our puppies and I was just wanting some tips on how to keep them warm.

It's not "cold" at the moment, mornings are about 18/19 degrees celsius (64 deg F), but I've noticed their ears are quite cold to touch? So I hold their ears in my hands until they warm up /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Do you fellow beagle owners have any tips for us to keep our little girls warm through our winter? I was thinking of going to buy them some little coats to put on during the night/morning.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I got a couple sweaters to put on Abby when she went outside during winter. She also doesn't stay out as long during the winter only because she chooses not to. We bring her back in as soon as she's ready.

Also when I thought she was cold I would wrap her in my soft, warm blanket because it gets pretty toasty for me, or I'd cuddle her and wrap us both in the comforter. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: It's not "cold" at the moment, mornings are about 18/19 degrees celsius (64 deg F)
:D We're at about the same latitude north, as you are south. 64F may not be cold, but to us, it certainly isn't warm! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

We've had several Greyhounds. They have about zero body fat. I found someone that made sweaters for them.
Beagle Sadie comes in quickly in the winter when the sun isn't shining, but she does like to lay in the sun. Even when it's around 90F. :cool2:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bel has a little fleece blanky that she has drug around since she was a pup. When she is cold she will curl up on or beside it and Peggy will normally put it over her. She will lay for hours with her blanky over her.

Crook just gets in front of the heater!

·
Registered
62 Posts
We bought Monty a fleece jacket that zips up the back last winter. He wears that when it is really cold or when it is just a little bit cold but he has to stand around a lot (like when we are waiting for the train). At home we cover him up with fleece blankets.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might have to go and find a few fleece blankets for the girls /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I've seen all the photos of beagles curling up under blankets and not getting up till after you.

This morning was the first morning that they were still in bed when we got up to go to work, that's how I kinda thought that maybe it's getting a little chilli for them.

We have a fireplace thing in our house (not a proper fire place, but one of those oven type things with a pipe out the roof) that I'm sure we'll need to dust off and use for the girls. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've just been searching for coats to buy them and I found some pretty cool ones, but can't say I'm happy about spending $40+ each jacket! (that's about $60+ US i think?).

(... Erin)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My beagle Bagel has a doghouse with an old sleeping bag inside. Doesn't often get much below -10 Celsius in our Winter but the summers get up to 45 degreea Celsius may 40 summer days. Plenty of water, a little shade and the Bagel does just fine, come rain, snow or sun.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, 45deg!! Is that a dry heat or a muggy hot heat?

We get a muggy heat over there, it's disgusting. I'd much rather a dry heat where you dont feel like you've constantly got a layer of sweat on you!

I think we only had one day last winter where we got to 1 deg cel... Normally we have a few and a few -0 nights too. This summer hasn't been as hot as others, so we might be lucky enough to have some cold winter nights this year.

I LOVE winter! I can't wait!

(... Erin)

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Erin!

Be careful about putting little coats or sweaters on the girls when nobody is home. I do know of a dog whose owner did just that...apparently during the day when the dog was alone, she tried to scratch an itch and her nail/toe got caught in the fabric. Quite a bit of blood and I think she lost the nail.

If you don't already have one, get a big doggie pillow and let them cuddle. Beagles LOVE to cuddle, with each other or their families, they love it. Your babies will keep each other warm on a nice fluffy, fleecy type pillow placed in a sunny spot of the house.

Regarding walking, if they are just going out to do their business, I believe no extra covering needed. For that amount of time, they will be fine. For long walks, maybe the little coats will help.

I know that in even colder climates, dogs and puppies who live outdoors survive winter with varying degrees of shelter. I know they are cold (poor things /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif ) but they do manage.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Well, I was self-employed under the name of Beagle heating for over 6 years & "Yes, I "heat my beags" with the "heat-n-glo" fireplace that I purchased from a "discontinued sale"! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Yea.....I agree.....just nice cozy pillows and fleece blankets will do just fine. (Hint: Get warm, thin blankets if you like to wash a lot; heavy, bulky ones are more work to keep clean)

I make a pallet in the living room and my office with bulky, heavy blankets on the bottom and thin fleecey ones on top (which I wash a lot); my two love to 'nest' by scrunching the blankets in a pile. I also invest in cheap $5 bed pillows which I can throw away when they get too smelly.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie has finally stopped eating her blankets. I couldn't let her have anything because she chewed it apart and ate it. The Kuranda bed was a lifesaver as far as having something comfortable in her crate but not very snuggly. Now she can have a fleece blanket or two. She still chews occasionally but does not chew and swallow the pieces. She doesn't seem to care about having her body covered. Just kind of makes a nest and curls in a ball. She does like to cover her nose. We don't get really cold weather here and Maggie's crate is in my daughter's room so I think she probably isn't cold.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Andrew & Erin:
Wow, 45deg!! Is that a dry heat or a muggy hot heat?

We get a muggy heat over there, it's disgusting. I'd much rather a dry heat where you dont feel like you've constantly got a layer of sweat on you!

(... Erin)
I can tell when the humidity goes above 15% That happens maybe a couple days in the summer, BUT with dark clouds, cloudbursts and very welcome cooling rain. I agree 45 Celsius (113 Fahrenheit) in our dry desert is very tolerable while 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit) with high humidity is unbearable. I can't see how people can function outdoors in those conditions.

Time to defend yourselves Beaglers from Florida and Houston /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
There is nothing better than you getting in bed, leaving your bedroom door open and waiting for those crafty beags to tip toe their way onto your bed. Then feeling their cold nose lifting the quilt, then listening to the gentle snores as they slip into a deep, dream filled, lovely warm world. Great for them, quite nice for you as long as you function well with little sleep /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif .

Our dogs stay outside during the day, they have fleecy blankets on their beds and because we love our sleep we no longer allow them in our room. We do miss the four of them in the bed, they made great feet warmers /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ! But sleep, we found, became more important.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey seems to always be cold. She likes to curl up on her pillow in the sun but usually is on the couch or the bed. She burrows under the blanket I keep for her on the couch and sleeps under the covers with me. If she goes in her crate at night, which she sometimes does, she's got a pillow and two blankets in there to cuddle up in. I know, she's spoiled.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: Time to defend yourselves Beaglers from Florida and Houston
I don't know... My brother was in Vegas a few years back, and at 105 F, with no humidity, he thought it was great. He couldn't understand why other tourist were fainting.
Personally, my lips chap and my hands crack and bleed in our "dry" winters. Give me 95 F and 95% humidity all year round! That's what I live here for! :thumbup:

·
Registered
439 Posts
i bought a little space heater from wal-mart.
its really nice. its able to heat a room in no time. if its knocked over, it shuts off. very cool to the touch in when running too. temp adjustments also. bernie loves this thing. i put it far enough away that its not blowing right on him. but you can bet he will be resting somewhere in the direction the little heater is blowing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts