Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I have started doing agility with my beagles (harry = 15 months... Oscar = 8 months).

Oscar is pretty good at it so far, and is a little more focused on me on the course... Harry on the otherhand is totally impossible! he is a TYPICAL sniffing beagle and runs away immediately!

I'd really like to change this behaviour asap, as he is still young and i'd love to get him on the course! ... but when he goes - he doesnt listen to anything,,, and I can't get his attention with food either...

Any advice would be VERY VERY welcome!

Also, I don't have agility equipment at home, so we only practice with equipment once a week at training

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I am looking forward to hear the answers to this one because Spencer is the exact same way. When his nose is working, I could throw a steak in fron of his face and he wouldn't care.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had to chuckle a little at the title because I have the same trouble with Lucky at obedience class. I can't get him to focus unless I have a visible, available treat in my hand!!!

Looking forward to answers!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We were taught look in obedience classes. We would take a treat and put it up to our heads, right between our eyes and say look. Ideally, your dog will look at the treat as you do this, which also means they will be looking you in your eyes. As soon as they make eye contact give them the treat. Jersey is so-so on this one. It's not one we practice a whole lot though, even though I should.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Barking Mad are your Agility people I would say, I think the best advice would come from them.

Apart from obedience classes, I'm afraid I can't help much... I would always make sure I have something Chloe would do practically anything for, that's the only way I'm confident she'll come running

·
Registered
983 Posts
When I took Hunter and Casey to agility the one thing I found worked was to make sure they were hungry. We all know beagles will do anything if you have food. I would feed them a light breakfast and no supper. At class the treats would be chopped up veggie wieners,cheerios, cheese, and a bit of garlic powder all mixed up. They were hungry so they would focus better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts