Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leo is having trouble with jumping up on things. He jumps up on the chairs to our kitchen table, he jumps up on the end table, and he tries to jump up on the couch (I know many of you allow your beagles on the couch, but seeing as this couch is newer than Leo is old, and it is the first piece of furniture my husband and I could actually afford to buy for ourselves, we are currently very protective of it. I imagine that someday, in the future, when Leo and Caelia are older, they too will be allowed on the couch). So what do you do to keep your dogs from jumping up on things that you don't want him/her to? We don't want to hurt his feelings by not allowing him up on the couch, but sometimes I honestly think it makes him a little sad! Any suggestions on how to keep our puppy down, but not out?

·
Registered
350 Posts
nope.
comes with the territory. being told no means sad beagle.
but they dont stay sad long. we put cheap fleece blankets on our furniture, and the floor. (hard wood) and the dogs know that they are only allowed on the fleece. if they get on the couch without it, then we say firmly and use body language to tell them that it is not acceptable.
c.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our dogs have always been allowed on the furniture. We keep our couch covered with a comforter and even though she has her owne blanket, Snoopy so smartly crawls underneath to snooze. I guess this defeats the purpose of keeping the furniture covered. Anyway, in answer to your question, I am probably not a good one to ask. I have always given in because I enjoy snuggling together on the couch probably more than Snoopy!

Good luck with your problem. I hope you find a solution that makes everybody happy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
from day one, we've taught our beagle that he must be invited to sit with us. While we've had our share our training problems with him, somehow we got this one right!

When he was a pup, he was too small to jump up. We would always ask him to sit and then pick him up and place him on his special couch blanket. Even now when he certainly could jump, he comes over to us and sits when he wants to join us - we pick him up. We use the same process for our bed - he needs to be invited up. Now the flipside is sometimes I'm lying down and I'd love for him to jump up so I don't have to move...

The few times I have caught him jumping up on the couch (usually after I've finished a snack - LOL) I give a stern Off command and he's off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally Posted By: LeonidasWe don't want to hurt his feelings by not allowing him up on the couch, but sometimes I honestly think it makes him a little sad!
When it comes to puppies and children I tell them That look won't work. I've had my guilt gland removed.

The best thing you can do is make sure you set and enforce his limits (which it sounds like you're already doing).

·
Registered
889 Posts
Set the limits and stick to them. If they jump up uninvited then put them stright back down on the floor.

·
Registered
326 Posts
the words down,off or out whatever the case maybe should work with consistency.

WARNING HOWEVER: NEVER LOOK AT YOUR BEAGLE AFTER YOU DISCIPLINED THEM, THEIR SAD LOOK TENDS TO REEL YOU IN.................HAHAHA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts