Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, if i were to add a beagle puppy to the ranks,
how do i go about finding a good breader?
what are some things to look for? what are some questions to ask said breeder? tell me some things i want to avoid.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Might I suggest a rescue or rescue pup?

My wife once a puppy at sometime in the future, but I keep leaning towards rescues. Puppies always find homes, rescues are not so lucky.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby came from a breeder, but after being on this site I've decided if(when) we get another dog that it's going to be a rescue /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The first AKC site I gave you has Beagle Rescue groups for all over the U.S.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can look on www.petfinder.com and search for a rescue dog that is still a baby. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Best of both worlds. Your get to save a life in the process and get a puppy, too. Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you do decide to go with a breeder here are a few tips that I wish someone had given us before we purchased our Dane-
* Make sure to get references!!!!!!! If the breeder is not willing to give you references from people they have given their other dogs too, it is a BIG warning sign! Had we gotten references we would never had gotten our Dane, she is mean.
Then make sure to call those references! Find out as much as you can from them, ask about any problems they have with the breeder or with their pup(s), such as health issues etc. Besides, a really good breeder will call you every so often to check in on you and your new pup after you've gone home, and maybe even send you a christmas card!
* When you get a pup from a breeder, it should be more like they are interviewing you, not the other way around. A good breeder wants to make sure that their pups are going to good proper homes. A puppy mill will just hand the pup over to anyone who has the money.
* Ask to see the parents. While this will not determine the exact disposition that you will expect from your future pup when they mature, it will be a good indicator.
* Make several visits with the breeder and the pups before they are ready to go. This way you will have more time with the pups to help you decide which one is your best fit for your newest family member. A good breeder will be more than happy to allow you to do this.

Best of luck to you in your search! But please, I can't tell you enough how important it is to check references!! We had (or in all acutality have) a bad experience with a horrible breeder. Had we gotten references we would be in a much better place right now. When our Dane got sick (paneostesis) I called the breeder and she knew nothing of this very common Dane disease. Then she would never return our emails or phone calls, still to this day 3yrs later she won't.

Sorry to go on so much about it, I am just passoniate about proper breeding and the welfare of the pups and the familys they go to.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Definately look into a rescue if you can /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The rescue I volunteer with almost always has puppies available or really young beagles.

I had a very horrible experience with the breeder I got Badger from. I asked all sorts of questions and he had all the great answers, but when it came down to it and I got Badger home pardon the expression he was sicker than a dog. I did not notice this when I first picked him up and put in in the car since it was close to an hour ride home and though he was just car sick.

Needless to say over $2000.00 later and several trips to court I got my money back from the breeder. He was a very dishonest man and I really hope the Department of Agriculture as gotten to him since I have reported him along with a few other people.

Bella is my rescue puppy and it was a good experience adopting a rescue. She was spayed and microchipped already. Which was nice since that was an expensive that did not come out of my pocket and her adoption fee was only $200.00 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Much less than what a reputable breeder will charge you.

Good luck in finding that just right puppy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts