Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tight should Caesars collar be? I know it shouldn't be tight and restricting breathing but a friend told me that it should be loose enough to almost slip over his head. I can easily fit 4 fingers between his collar and his neck. So his collar is loose. And last night he slipped out of it while we were on a walk. He wanted to walk through some flowers and I just stood there, not pulling on the leash, just staying still and he backed up and pulled his head out of the collar. OMG! He started running one way so I called his name and ran the other way. He followed for about 20 feet then turned down the alley. Then he ran out infront of a car. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif My heart stopped for a second. I continued to follow him through someones yard until I finally caught him. And this isn't the first time he's pulled his collar off. He's also very good at slipping out of his harness which is why he doesn't wear them on walks. It's so hard to catch a beagle because he thinks I'm supposed to follow him!
How tight/loose should it be?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think the collar should be tight but loose enough to fit 2 fingers between the collar and his neck.... that way its loose that he is not choking and tight enough not to slide off of his head when he tries to get loose....
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
I was told by the vet two fingers should fit. I would say if he almost slipped out of it it's too loose.
I ,also,was told that 2 fingers is a good rule of thumb to go by. Loose enough to move around his neck but not lose enough to slip over his head . It is very important to try to walk your beagle in an area where there is not much traffic. Remember beagles were bred to hunt and will do so even if it means crossing a road. Beagles have about the best sense of smell of any breed and when they pickup a smell all their senses seem to go to their nose. So walking out in front of a car means nothing to them when hunting a scent. Because all senses but the nose are like turned off. So he actually did not ignore your calls,he doesn't hear them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I'll tighten his collar to fit 2 fingers. The place where we walk him is a walking trail with a lake, and field. He just ran down our alley which is the closest road at that point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would be looking into getting a better harness. I don't think you could make a collar tight enough for my Josie that she wouldn't squeeze out of if she got the scent of something. At least with a harness, I have something better to grab onto and point her in the right direction if she gets sidetracked by a pesky rabbit during a walk.

She got away from my wife once during a walk with just a colar (scariest moment of my fur-dad life so far), and I'm going to do everything I can to not let it happen again. We won't even take her from the front door to the car without her harness on. I don't know what I'd do if she ever go away and something happened to her. I don't want to find out.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Snoopy and Susi only wear a collar for identification. We use harnesses when out walking, far safer.
I would say that is good advice. You don't want them to slip out of harness or collar but if the dog wears a collar outdoors and unsupervised(like a fenced yard), it might be better to be as loose as you described so they can escape if it get caught on a branch or something in the yard. You, however, don't want them to lose their identification when there is a possibility of escape nor do you want it that loose when there a threat like the adventure in the flowers. Bagel's collar is a tight two fingers, his harness is a bit snugger than that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've always heard the same rule...you should be able to get two fingers under the collar. If Caesar slips out of his collar easily, try a harness. It really helps me control Jersey much better when we're on walks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow, Suzy is completely different than these beagles...she does not like her harness and is VERY stubborn when in it. So we put a choke collar on her and she controls herself, she pulls until she hears one click. It isn't tight but she knows she's close, so she slows down.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
the 2 finger rule is what my vet says too !! I also use a harness when walking Sammy. As a puppy I also thought she was going to choke herself to death so pretty much since the beginning it has been a harness. She gets very excited when I take it off the rack !!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Snoopy and Susi only wear a collar for identification. We use harnesses when out walking, far safer.
That is us too! Chloe is red and Lillie is purple! When the Twins were littler that was the only way the neighbor kids could tell them apart /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif !

Unless the Girls are walking they just use their collars and their harness (which are also red and purple too!). BUT their have been several times that one of the Girls come in without their collars on and Hubby and I have to watch the property to look for red or purple!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts