Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding Winston 3x a day. He's just over 4 months old now. When should I cut back the middle of the day feed? Should I increase the amts he gets morning and night when I do, and should I wean him off lunch or just cut it out altogether?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Let him tell you! Usually it's at about 6 months old, but they tend to let us know. I suspect Winston will start leaving a lot of his food in the bowl, and if that goes on for more than a week, that's your cue to cut back to 2 meals a day.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I usually feed pups 3 x a day until they're 5-6 months old - then cut back to twice a day. That isn't set in concrete - sometimes it's earlier.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We've been feeding Bodie twice a day since day one. He seems to be fine with that too. I just recently got him a Treat Ball (filled with 1 1/2 cups of kibble) and give it to him every morning. The nice thing with this is he has to work to get the food out and can feed himself throughout the day as needed.

Here's a link to my recent post on the Treat Ball.
http://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/ubb...78089#Post78089

Also, the quality of food will play a part in how often and how much you feed him.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Chloe's Mommy I suspect Winston will start leaving a lot of his food in the bowl, and if that goes on for more than a week, that's your cue to cut back to 2 meals a day.
What?!! Leave food in his bowl?!! I did mention that Winston is a beagle didn't I??
He tries to eat the bowl!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I feed m ine twice a day with biscuit treats in between for good behavior. I take one small dog biscuit and break it into several pieces so they end up not getting many treats. If it were up to Dillon, he would eat all day and all night until he literally burst.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You can feed as many or less as you want as long as he is getting the right amount of daily food. Most of smaller breeds get several feedings, medium and up generally about 2 feedings. I give one meal in the mornign for my adults.

So do what is right for you pup. Watch him, watch his weight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had the best luck with 2 feedings per day. The first in the morning about a half hour after going outside to pee and the second in the evening just before the human dinner time.

I know a lot of people like to do just one feeding but 24 hours until the next meal just seems like too long of a wait.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My beagle often leaves most of her food in the bowl in the morning and then eats it in the afternoon. But, if I don't put the food in first thing in the morning she gets mad! LoL. She has to have that nibble when she wakes up apparently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts