Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Maybe once a year. If that. Rascal walks in the rain a lot and we dry her off really well afterwards. She has rarely rolled in something smelly.
techie

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Only a few times a year unless they get into something stinky. If they are on good food their coats should be relatively clean and itch free. I use Oatmeal dog shampoo when they do get a bath.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
A good brushing will generally get rid of anything stuck in their coat. If they get muddy, wait 'til it dries and that brushes out too.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Cassie goes to a groomer a few times a year and I ask for Oatmeal shampoo. She gets the nails trimmed and teeth brushed at the same time. If she gets a little dirty I just use baby wipes or use an old wash cloth to clean paws. Too much bathing can cause dry itchy skin.
One of the things beagles need is to have their ears cleaned as they're prone to ear infections due to long ears.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bathe my dog a lot more frequently than others posting here, but not with a soap based shampoo. I have a groomers shampoo called HyLyt that my vet recommended. It's soap free and has moisturizers and fatty acids in it which is good for their skin, there is no limit to how often you can use it.

Once a week I take her to a doggie daycare, and half the time she comes back with a strong dog odor, so she gets bathed almost once a week with the HyLyt. Besides that I take her to the groomer only a few times a year where she gets an oatmeal shampoo and her nails, ears, and teeth cleaned.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I rarely bath odie in the cold months because I worry about him drying completely before he wants to go outside but in the spring, summer and fall he gets a bath once every two months and he gets his nails done every 6 weeks. I use an oatmeal soap and I brush him at least twice a week and brush his teeth every 5th day or so..

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I used to bathe more as well when mine had the allergy flare ups. I used a derma benz soap from my Vet that had to sit on the skin. I had to do that every week. Now I do it when she gets "stinky" Prob. once every 3 weeks. Sometimes it seems like she sweats when she sleeps in all her blankets in her bed so she gets a smell about her. I still use that same soap from the vet. It's good for her skin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe every month! Seems excessive but believe it or not my furbaby ENJOYS the bath. I'm careful to keep the temperature mild, I don't think dogs enjoy hot water like we do and I think that's why some are terrified of baths because the owners make it lava-hot!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine baths about once a month... He goes to day care 4 x a month and at least one of those days he decides to roll in the mud with his buddies.... so the groomer there will cut his nails and bath him before I pick him up. :)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Mine baths about once a month... He goes to day care 4 x a month and at least one of those days he decides to roll in the mud with his buddies.... so the groomer there will cut his nails and bath him before I pick him up. :)
I am so jealous the groomer cuts his nails. Trimming nails is not my favorite thing.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Natty Boh,
I have a local groomer who I go to just for a nail trim. She charges $8.00 if you come each month. I used to trim my Goldens nails myself. She would just lay there and hand me her paw. She was so good about that. Now Autumn, hmmmm let's just say it's easier to pay for some things in life. ;)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I can't really complain about Boh. He is pretty good at getting his nails trimmed - plus his nails are white. He is pretty easy. Shelby is another story. Oh my goodness. It takes two people - Me to clip and someone to distract. LOL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fletcher is so good with getting his nails trimmed...he just lies there ..we played with his paws a liitle each day since we got him so i was told that really helps..Now a bath is different story :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Snix will tolerate a bath, but will put on like she's being tortured when it comes to nail trims. Definitely a two person job.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Shelby and Natty Boh both need nail trims. I have been procrastinating. I'm a bad mom.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I bathe on a as needed basis. But as a general rule its a couple times a year. Only use Halo Cloud Nine herbal shampoo. Awesome stuff

·
Registered
27 Posts
We started out thinking we ought to bathe Charlie every 2-3 weeks, but we realized it's better just to do it as needed. I think with too much bathing he was getting puppy dandruff... drying out from too much and the cold. Now we use wipes if he gets into something, unless it's really nasty then he'll get a bath. Most things just wipe off ;) We use an oatmeal soap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts