Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leo, is now 8 weeks old! When we first got him he did really well on the potty training, now it seems to have gotten worse and worse. We don't give him any food or water after 7:30ish pm, and he does really well in his crate at night with that schedule. During the day he has water available to him at all times. We are wondering if we should have him set on a watering schedule as well? He pees every 30-40 min, and he drinks a lot of water. If anyone has any advice, that would be great!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mmmm, sounds like another little puppy I once knew. (Winston)
As my very smart daughter explained to me, dogs naturally urinate to mark things, so they never truly empty thier bladders.
While they are still learning, you may find you have what I call a dribbler piddler. It seems like they pee often but not alot. Thier bladders are also pretty small right now and can't hold alot.
Eventually they pee more at a time and less often. I would never consider not having water available at all times except at night. Eventually, you may not have to do this either.

If you crate him during the day too, you'll find that he holds it longer and longer, eventually he'll learn to do his business, because it may be a while before he gets out again.

Patience my friend!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Yeah, Leo is definitely a dribbler piddler. We have been noticing at night he has been able to hold it a lot longer than when we got him a week ago. Well, we will just keep on with what we have been doing. He has only had 1 accident today, compared to the 4 or 5 yesterday. Thanks, for the post!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Every major step will have its set back, as I'm learning. We will have great days with the puppies, and we will have bad days. They are going to be 12 weeks old this coming week, and they still have accidents - some days are worse than others. What I've found is that when we leave them in the kitchen to play, they make their mistakes. If we are in the kitchen with them, they have begun to whine or let us know when they need to go. This isn't always consistent, but I'm also learning their behaviors, and I've gotten pretty good at figuring out when they need to go. I've also learned to just watch their bottoms for indication that they need to poop. Sounds gross, but it really does work. If I do that, I can ALWAYS tell when they're about to go.

Patience sucks, but it is the key. If we can't be in the kitchen, playing with the puppies and watching their every move, we put them in the crate. If they are playing by themselves, they don't know yet how to indicate that they need to go (they are getting to the point where they are beginning to, though!). They still have accidents in the crate, but they seem to be getting better at holding it. I think the key is putting them in the crate for long enough periods of time for them to learn to hold it but giving them the opportunity to relieve themselves in the appropriate place within a decent amount of time. After all, puppies DO sleep a lot...only rarely do they not go almost immediately after being taken outside, but that takes practice.

The other thing that my boss told me is that we have to differentiate between potty time and play time. In other words, they don't go outside unless they are going potty. Once they've gone, take them right back into the house and play with them.

That technique seems to have better success for me than letting them play outside after going potty.

Not that I have any experience, but keep in mind that potty training a toddler can be just as difficult.

(WOW I was long-winded today!)

--Steph

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, Rocky will be 16 weeks old this week and he has pretty much mastered the toilet training...we just have to be attentive to his cues!

When he was 8 weeks old I felt like we were going out a lot too, but I usually stayed out and let him sniff around for a while before coming in, and he would piddle about 3 times every time we went out!

As to Steph's comment of differentiating between playtime and potty time...I agree to a point, but now Rocky spends loads of time outside and goes when he needs to, so I think needing to keep the times distinct is important when they are being house trained, but once it's mastered it seems it isn't as important.

When Rocky was 8 weeks old, we cut off water fairly early too, and made sure he went out numerous times before being crated for the night. He always has water at will from when we get up until about 8, but it was around 7 when he was little. I am sure that eventually we won't need to pick it up at all...our previous dog Indy wouldn't drink in the morning, because he knew he wouldn't be able to go out while we were at work and even though the water was there all day for him, he would gulp it up when we got home and would drink lots through the evening, naturally cutting himself off before bed. It was quite amazing really, and just goes to show how important routine is...as much for our pets as for our kids!

Patience Kayla and Steph! It will get better!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks Paula! Our puppies are in an apartment, so they can't be outside unless we are with them. That stinks, but oh well. It will get better soon.

We don't generally keep the water out at all times because Quinn and Grayson make a mess of it when they are playing. If they don't show any interest in the water, I immediately bring it up and will try again later. If I don't, the water usually ends up all over the floor because they fall in it. :p Silly puppies!

--Steph

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hmm Millie is nearly 16 weeks and doesn't seem to be anywhere toilet trained yet it's frustrating she will go outside but will go inside too , she will basically go where ever she is if she needs too. She doesn't seem to scratch to go outside.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We have kind of the same problem. Molly just turned 10 weeks, and only the potty training at night works. She wakes me up, I carry her out and she pees... for the rest of the time its the livingroom. My husband wants to put her in the crate 24/7 now or cut the water. I feel bad, but sometimes she pees, and 5 minutes later she pees again, even if it is just 5 drops. We put a pee-pad in the hallway, and the one time she went on it after I put her on it, I praised her and gave her treats, but now she is pulling it from the hallway to the livingroom into the kitchen.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We just keep Grayson and Quinn in the kitchen because we don't want them to ruin the carpet. The most recent time Quinn almost pooped on the carpet, she did it right by the door, so I'm proud of her for that! She was close!

Also, we don't allow them play time without monitoring them. I think my situation may be a bit different because we have two puppies who keep each other entertained. We rarely allow them the ability to roam in the house - that's only if both of us are there AND the puppies did everything outside.

--Steph

·
Registered
847 Posts
If the weather was mild you might be able to do that, but with the summer heat dogs need water at all times. So I would say that takes precedence over the potty training failure.

Bodie was about his age during August (last year). And I don't recall his water intake making potty training any more difficult. We stuck to a regular potty break schedule and stopped his intake in the evening. Other then the occasional accident he did pretty well.

Just remember your little guy is only 8 weeks old and far from housebroken at this age. Give it time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Our puppies are doing a really good job at the housetraining right now. One thing I DID notice, though, is that they have come to think that blankets and towels are places to pee. I took Quinn out of the shower and wrapped her in her towel. As soon as I set her down in the kitchen, what did she do? She peed right on the towel....*sigh* At least it's easy to clean up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.