Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we're walking Bianca around 1 - 1.5 miles a day or so, more..less...what do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Personally, at 12 weeks I wonder if that is too much? We waited til about 6months to walk that much. I am not an expert but know that during development they should not be over exerercised.

How is she handling the walks (during and after)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's hit and miss. Sometimes she LOVES the walks, other times she doesn't want to budge.. It's so frustrating!

Espcially when her nose is the ground the whole time!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: b0ricuaEspcially when her nose is the ground the whole time!
Sorry but that is one thing you are going to have to get used to! Beagles LOVE to sniff EVERYTHING! That never changes, it takes some getting used to and eventually you will be able to walk with her!

Take it slow, little by little and eventually she will get it

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, Bianca has gotten MUCH better on the leash! Although the weather has been cold lately so getting her little jacket on is always a chore (turns into a wrestling match)

·
Registered
847 Posts
We walked Bodie about the same distance at that age too and he did fine. I know some may say it could cause problems with the dog's developing bones and joints. But I haven't seen any adverse effects from those long walks.

For us it was more important to help get all that puppy energy out. If he ever appeared fatigued from a walk we'd cut it short and head home. But that rarely happened.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never really trained my Beagle to walk very well on the leash. I let him just track as he does. But he knows to come to me when I call him. So thats a plus. Lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's a good amount of walking. We do about the same each day divided into two walks. Supplemented with 2 visits to a dog park each week

·
Registered
837 Posts
Way too much for a 12 week old!!

I would barely be leash training them at that age.

The general rule is five minutes per month of age - so if the dog is three months old no more than 15 minutes of structured exercise a day.

Anymore than that and you risk impacting their growing joints and causing serious growth and structure issues.

ETA: There are many safer, lower risk ways to 'get puppy energy out', training is a great place to start because mental exercise can tire them out more than physical exercise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts