Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Our first Beagle (Murphy) is now almost 6 months old. He's active, bright, and full of energy.

For exercise and enjoyment we walk the local bike trails-a lot. Now that spring is finally here we walked 7 miles on Friday (split 4 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon), 4 miles on Saturday and 3 miles today. Murphy absolutely loves going on our walks.

My question is-how much is too much? Since he's a still a puppy I want to make sure we don't overdo it. Are there any long term joint/growth issues that our long walks might cause?

We do take water, take frequent breaks and vary our pace. He doesn't show any sign that the distance bothers him, but I'd still like to make certain that the amount of walking won't cause problems since he is still a puppy.

Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think that as long as you don't strain him too much, and he is fine walking, it's okay. I would watch him and make sure he drinks during and you take rests during.

Usually the recommendation is not to exercise them until they are about 18 months old, as their bones are not fully developed/strong enough.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I think what you are doing is o.k. As long as its walking pace you will have a job to out-walk a beagle.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We're like you, we walk Bodie a lot. Bodie is now 9 months old, but he's been going for walks since he was 8 weeks old. And once his shots were done we immediately started going further and further. We don't go quite as far as you but we walk daily with several multi-milers a week.

Many people will advise you against long walks at an early age because their joints and tendons are still developing. Which might be valid but it's also hard to quantify how far is too far since all dogs are different.

So just go with your judgement like you're doing. Watch his little ass wiggle and if you seem him favor one leg or get tired cut your walk short. And maybe the next day take him on a short walk so he can recover. But like you, we've got an active beagle and we try and tire him out as much as we can.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Watch his little ass wiggle
Thanks for the chuckle-I needed that!

And thanks for all the responses-I genuinely appreciate everyones advice and perspective.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've always heard that you shouldn't do strenuous exercise with immature pups, and the examples have always been things like forcing to jog or run or do agility. I think with walking y'all will be fine, especially since he enjoys it so much and shows no strain. Dr. Oz says walking is the exercise that humans 'were born to do' and I'd wager the same could be said about dogs!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tried to stick to the 5 mins rule with Molly but it just doesnt work for her, at 6 months she really needs 3 good long walks a day (approx 45 mins to 1 hour each) otherwise she gets all stir crazy and you can see that she needs to release the energy. Every dog is different and you need to adapt to whatever their needs are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts