Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 14 week puppy. She is underweight 10.9 as I can easily feel her ribs and hips. I started feeding 1 cup a day...to 1.5 cups. Now I give her 2 cups day. She saw the vet, all is fine, but she is very active with my other 1 year old beagle. So my plan was to keep feeding her 2 cups till she starts to gain weight, then slowly back off.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Feed a food specifically designed for puppies and feed it to about 6 months. Also spread the day's amount of food over 3 feedings a day instead of 2. That way your puppy doesn't experience hunger. My dog is 8yrs old now and thats what Ive been doing recently to stop the begging. Its working great.
I dont feed kibble so Im not sure about 2 cups a day. I feed Freshpet (5 star) which is a fresh food found in the refrigerated section of the pet food section.
Hope to see pictures soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do feed 3x day....everything say 1 cup a day by weight now and approximately adult weight. I have owned many dogs...but this one was underweight and is extremely active. She is slowly fattening up. Like I said it is too easy to feel ribs and hips. So I think I am on right track, but I appreciate all opinions.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Like humans Im sure dogs vary in size. As long as the dog is healthy no doubt will catch up. I used NutriCal that has vitamins and electrolytes and comes in a tube. You can buy it over the counter at the petstore. Squeeze a dime size on your finger and drag it on the bottom teeth. They lick and swallow it.
Your dog is adorable!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So puppy is slowly gaining weight...I can't easily feel her spine, but I think she is still underweight. I am very familiar with correct dog and puppy weight. So I started thinking, maybe she needs to rest more? My other 1 year old beagle and her are always playing. I have seen her wake the puppy to play with her. So I have caged her for some needed rest alot more frequently. Maybe this was contributing to her spending more energy.

She eats as thought shes starving. She gets 2 cups per day. I've had her about a little over a week.
Shes has seen the vet, no worms. She sleeps all night. Has solid BM.
Opinions welcomed...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
They do need a lot of nap time during the early months after bursts of energy. My puppy was tiny too, then around 6 months I opened the crate one morning and out came a fully grown dog. I was in shock..she virtually grew overnight and I thought where did my puppy go!! Increase nap time to foster calmness. The more tired they are, the more bitey they get. That's a whole other stage.

·
Registered
860 Posts
How far the food will go will depend on the calories in the food...what food are you feeding her?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts