Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many people say 2 to 3 hours a day some say only 20 minutes morning and 20 minutes at night. I have heard so many different answers, or does it really depend on your dog? My dog went for short 20 minutes walk this morning and then in the afternoon took her out in the wood for about 40 minutes on a long lead so she could run (I can't let her off as her recall is awful and am scared she wont come back) she has now been asleep for most of the evening and will sleep all night too. She seems happy with this amount of exercise - may be it is what she is used to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think its 15 mins and 5 mins for every month they are old.

he/she may surprise you off the lead, ours did. We were so nervous but our trainer insisted we have to. We went to her farm and she was great. We now let her our in the fields by us to practice. We can only do it when its quiet mind, as she is still learning, but she never goes to far and will run toward you if you change direction. Its great seeing her run in teh long grass as well, she really loves it.

Not sure what your location is, but the puppy classes were near us in monmouth. Not sure if thats to far for you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried the puppy training classes in Llanfoist village hall - complete nightmare too many dogs all stressed out and owners too. did one to one training over a weekend which gave me some good tips - she was chasing sheep, still don't trust her enough to let her off the lead, i know the farmer will shoot as they are in lambing at the moment and he is in his right to - she just wants to play with anything that moves!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
So many people say 2 to 3 hours a day some say only 20 minutes morning and 20 minutes at night. I have heard so many different answers, or does it really depend on your dog? My dog went for short 20 minutes walk this morning and then in the afternoon took her out in the wood for about 40 minutes on a long lead so she could run (I can't let her off as her recall is awful and am scared she wont come back) she has now been asleep for most of the evening and will sleep all night too. She seems happy with this amount of exercise - may be it is what she is used to.
I can't let mine off leash as well as recall isn't great when there is a sent and I can't risk loosing him. :)

It depends ont he dog. Beagles are very active dogs not only physicaly but mentally as well. So they need to sniff, they need differnt things to smell, they need differnt expirenaces. the 20 / 40 walk you did daily sounds great.

With mine he gets a 15 min, 5 min, 20 min, 5,5 daily. However it's not enough for him. So I try to work in the hour walk through the woods. I also try to vary my routes to give him new smells. He goes to doggie day care 2 times a month also.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We all took our dog to the woods today, i went yesterday with my children, but did not have the courage to let her off the lead in case she did'nt come back. Today my husband came with us and said let her off, we let her off the lead in the middle of the woods as around the edge were sheep in the fields, anyway she had a good run and was sniffing everywhere, I kept calling her back and giving her treats which was good though i felt sick with worry in case she got the scent of a rabbit or whatever and gave chase, luckily she was brilliant:hyper: she really enjoyed herself!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We let Zeppelin off the leash (Zoso isn't leashed trained yet) he does very well and will come when called. he stays within 50 feet of us, which we taught him that last summer in a large fenced in area. We go out every few hours and stay outside (he runs in the fenced in off leash dog park at my apartment complex) for about 20-30 mins, its cold right now (around 5-15 degrees so we do not stay outside much longer) but when it warms up, we go out again every few hours, i let him run for about 20 mins in the morning, go for a walk which is a good 30 min to 45 min walk, then after a few hours let him run for roughly almost 2 hours straight. the winter he gets an daily average of about 2 hours a day to run, in the summer he gets upwards to 5 hours a day!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine gets a one hour walk in the evening and a 30 minute walking in the morning and goes to a daycare monday to friday and runs around in a yard all day with other dogs during the week when I am at work. I weekends he still gets the morning and night walks plus an extra activity such as a walk around the lake or a bike ride... (weather permitting of course)

·
Registered
76 Posts
With any dog I usually work on the principle that if they are tired and want to sleep then they have had enough exercise; the only exception would be puppies who shouldn't be overwalked.

I usually do brisk hour in the morning and again of an evening with free play out in the garden. At weekends and days off we will do at least an hour in the day as well. After this mine just wants to laze around.

When the weather is dry and warm the door is always open and ours will run around for hours unless its really warm and then he just finds a spot in the sun and lies around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We're giving Ollie 3 walks a day of about 20-30 mins, he is nearly 5 mth old, are we walking him to much do you think?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had been walking Lily an hour in the morning, 1/2 hour at lunch, and then 1/2 hr to 45 minutes after supper however it's been unusally hot this summer so we generally stick to just the morning walk and then playtime in the house throughout the day to keep her occupied. From my own personal experience I can tell by her behavior if she is getting into stuff she shouldn't it's because she is bored so I try to get her more exercise. When it's been hot out we play in the house..I have discovered she doesn't like being followed so I will follow her around the house and then she starts running so I chase after her then from time to time I will stop chasing her and hide then she comes looking for me and the chase begins again..lol sounds weird but it works for us.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sonic and I run, we have worked him from 1/2 mile up to 4 miles is our long run, but we only do that once a week at the moment.

Sometimes we will do faster pace 1-2 miles.

The funny thing is, we get in from the run and he will lie down almost straight away, but then in 10 mins time, he looks ready to do it again, sadly I am never feeling quite the same way. Its shocking the amount of energy Beagles have.

·
Registered
398 Posts
depends on the dog Im sure.

Both my dogs (1 year old beagle and 8.5 year old rough collie) Get tons of excersise. a daily offleash bike ride through the woods, which is about a 45 mins bike ride. If no bike ride, then a hour hike through the woods, offleash which also involves tons of swimming, which the beagle LOVES, he is a fish lol.

If I have time/sun is still out. I walk them early AM for 30mins before work and after work we hit the small dog park for about 30mins-1.5 hours for some play with their friends. if we dont do that, then a small walk around the 'hood.

Some days, like today they just got the bike ride for 1.5 hours. they have both been passed out since lol.

They also probably wreastle/play with each other for about 2-4 hours a through out day. They truly are BFF's lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it depends on your dog, honestly. Jackson's very high energy, so we try to walk him as much as we can. He usually gets a quick am potty walk, and then two afternoon walks, usually one of them is about 40 minutes, one 15-20 minutes, and then a 20 minute evening walk. We try to give him 1.5-2 hours of walk time a day. Even then, he needs a lot of playtime or he gets bored and gets into trouble. We also live in an apartment, so we doesn't get outside playtime except during walks.

The only time we really wear him out is if he gets a 2 hour nature trail walk, a couple of hours at the dog park (where he plays non-stop!) or when his best friend Hailey is visiting and they play all day. He'll literally run himself into the ground if other dogs are around. When we board him, he usually sleeps for about two days once we get him home. The kennel says he runs and plays all day long!

I don't think we can trust Jackson off-leash, he gets so distracted by anything that comes his way (people, bicycles, dropped food, squirrels, other dogs, etc), he probably wouldn't realize he'd left us behind till he was far away. Plus, we live next to a shopping mall, so there are too many cars to risk it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beagles are highly energetic dogs. But how much exercise does a Beagle ideally require?

Typically, Beagles need 90 minutes of exercise every day. Some of the key benefits of exercising for Beagles include:
1. Release of pent-up energy
2. Improve muscle strength and stamina
3. Reduces the probability of becoming overweight or obese
4. Reduces anxiety and calm
5. Keeps them calm and composed

For an adult Beagle, physical activity must include 40 minutes of a mix of light and heavy workouts along with exercises for mental stimulation. On the other hand, Beagle puppies can be taken out for two five-minute walks daily.

Some of the best activities for Beagles include hiking, walking, running, swimming, playing hide and seek, and playing fetch or frisbee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts