Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walk my dog every day, unless the weather is absolutely preventing being outside. We usually do a fairly long one, about 2.5 miles I think (I'll measure it later when I get out for groceries). It takes about an hour and I take water and a bowl for him so we can stop for water breaks 2 or 3 times.

I have no idea what a recommended distance is for a beagle to walk. Does anyone here know? I don't want to overwork him, that's why I was wondering, b/c sometimes we take a day walk and then another in the evening. We don't go in excessive heat and I also check to be sure the pavement isn't burning hot, too, if we go during the daytime.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Beagle is 2 years old now; we do a 4 mile walk every morning at 5.45am and the same walk in a evening at around 6pm 7 days a week rain, shine, sleet or snow. Takes us just a little under an hour to do the walk all on paved streets. I know the distance because I did a track using the GPS on my phone. In addition at weekends or days off we will do a 2-3 mile walk around the local park but take it much slower. If it's too warm we don't go out in the middle of the day.

When we were away in the countryside earlier in the year we were doing 6-8 mile cross country walks; I though my legs were going to fall off but our beagle could have carried on going.

He does sleep well though after a good long walk.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
We have walked 2 hours before and he was still ready to walk more. :D
And yes he does sleep very well after that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove my route to measure it and it's 3 miles exactly.

Thanks for your responses, I'm glad to see there are others who go even further and it's all okay. There are some days we do our usual route twice, for a daily total of 6 miles and he's always up for it, but I just wasn't sure how far shorter dogs like beagles could safely go without overdoing it.

And yes, mine sleeps like he's hibernating after a walk, LOL. Comes inside, gets a drink and finds a cool, dark spot in our bedroom and sacks out for a while... even the noise of his treat jar being opened won't rouse him (which proves he's extremely tired b/c normally he'd come running :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Both my dogs (beagle 10 months old and rough collie 8 years old) does about 5 KM's of offleash hiking a day. So he probably does double what we do, since he swims, runs and plays also with other dogs on these walks.

beagles are hunting dogs, bred to track and chase down for hours. So a beagle can go go go for a while. a humans pace walk isnt much for any dog. So i wouldnt be concerned about a 3mile walk on leash. To my dogs that's a warm up lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
we walk our 7 yr old beagle 7km (4.3 miles) everyday- I walk him and the children to school and back. He is fine with that and will often have a 2nd walk later in the day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yesterday, I upped the distance Sonic and I run. He is 8 months old now.

We were doing a 2 mile run, where he kind of trots alongside me on the leash. He seemed quite used to it, so we went for 3 miles yesterday.

He did it fine, but I will say, he was the best behaved he has ever been! Clearly we have found he milestone :)

Andy

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andyb, I agree. I've noticed when I jog or ride my bike and my dog gets to run he never attempts to pull, stop for unnecessary pee or sniffing breaks or anything, he's so happy to be running that he just focuses on that alone, ears flopping in the wind :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have 2 beagle, a 5 years old and a 8 month. The old one wich is a beagle harrier runs 12 Kms 3 times a week at 20Km/h average speed. One day I thought he was really tired and took him in my car. 2 minutes later he 'smelled' some boars. He runed propably 5 km's more to follow them. Regulary he swim about 2 km. Probably he could do a marathon. I try to protect the small one and keep her from running to much till the end of her growth, but she already runs about 6 km (about a 4 miles).

·
Registered
21 Posts
As long as they want to! They looovee to smell everything in sight. They will fall asleep right after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My husband runs our beagle at least 4 days a week for 5 to 6 miles at a time. (The reaction he gets from other runners is "What kind of dog is that?" His reply "a beagle." Their standard reply "It's not fat!") Harley loves her runs so much that if she doesn't go for one, she does the beagle version of a pout!
She stays fit, gets tired and generally lounges around the rest of the day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
run run....run

We also have a few Harley's, one of which is our girl beagle Harley D. She has quite a bit of stamina. Our Harley is a small town Beagle and is either inside or tethered on a run line, which is really not enough running for her. She has lost her hit the field and search for something to chase when we go to grandma's where there is field and all to go a hunting. But she can "track" a motorcycle like it was a rabbit. besides riding the motorcycle with my husband, he will ride around the block repeatedly and she will chase him. Seen her do 8 laps around the block and still want to do more. I do not think nothing pleases her more than to chase that motorcycle. Summers he runs her a few times a week later in the evening because it is cooler. but the weather is here for running almost daily.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What about puppies though? I thought they could only have short walks otherwise you can damage their bones and muscles?

We are taking Tobey out 4/5 times a day but only for 10-15 mins each time.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw you post about walking your beagle and it is 10 years old post - your beagle must be an older dog now. I have a beagle that will be 11 in July and was wondering if 7-8 mile 2-hour forest walks are too much for him. He seems to be fine and does very well but sometimes he is less enthusiastic about going forward a walk as he used to be. Hope to get a response. Thanks
My Beagle is 2 years old now; we do a 4 mile walk every morning at 5.45am and the same walk in a evening at around 6pm 7 days a week rain, shine, sleet or snow. Takes us just a little under an hour to do the walk all on paved streets. I know the distance because I did a track using the GPS on my phone. In addition at weekends or days off we will do a 2-3 mile walk around the local park but take it much slower. If it's too warm we don't go out in the middle of the day.

When we were away in the countryside earlier in the year we were doing 6-8 mile cross country walks; I though my legs were going to fall off but our beagle could have carried on going.

He does sleep well though after a good long walk.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Nebbers is 13 now (well, in three weeks) and was going on 25k hikes at 11. He's slowed down now, but still likes getting out. With that said, if your guy is less enthusiastic - that may be telling you something. Trying cutting back a bit to find a sweet spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My boy is 11 next month and we regularly go for long walks (3 to 4 hours) over the moors . He still loves to go out and gets excited and impatient when I’m getting ready to take him but he doesn’t do much else these days. He sleeps most of the day. His age is becoming a bit of a concern and I often wonder if he’s doing too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts