Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Actually my beagles are never TRULY alone - since there are ten of them, there's always "playmates". However, if you mean with NO humans around, usually no more than perhaps 6 hours at a time - if that. My daughter and son in law live with me - and work different shifts. I work part time, so am out of the house 5-6 hours a day. Often they're "humanless" for less than 1-2 hours a day. There are 4 that are "kenneled" when no humans are around - the two little girls, and my two males. Most are allowed freedom of the basement (it's "finished" - with a big family room, kitchen, bath and laundry room, there is a futon and two big doggie beds so they mostly sleep. The "little girls", Bella and Angel are crated because Angel is still enough of a puppy that she tears things up when left to her own devices. She does better when her half sister, Bella is with her, so they share a "crate". The "older boys", Romeo and Tanna are "boys" and like to "mark" things when they're loose. I don't think any of my dogs would know what to do if they were truly ALONE.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all your responses - we're getting a beagle puppy and after around 5 months it will need to be left alone for around 4-5 hours.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Should be fine - would strongly urge crate training from the beginning though. At 5 months beagle puppies can still be pretty "destructive" still. My younger ones are all "crated" when I'm not home.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We rarely leave them alone in the house, but often for 1-2 hours in the car, in their crate. They feel safe there and sleep. This is whilst we are shopping, eating out or visiting people where we cant take the dogs in. When we leave them at home, mainly on hot days, they are only alone for about an hour.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
I see that some of you leave your beagles in the yard and garden for long hours. Do they tend to destroy things and chew plants?
Beaglina still digs unfortunately, either chasing lizards out from under stones, or burying things (my socks usually!). She's much better with the plants now, except for my poor Thyme plants - she loves all the varieties and rolls in them constantly - least she smells nice though /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
889 Posts
During the day when we are both @ work they are left alone for a maximum of 4.5 hours. If we are going to ne out for a long time them we arrange with a neighbour to look after them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My two have their own room with places to sleep, water, a radio, and silly old stuffed toys for Luna. Ideally i'm only gone 5-6 hours, but there are days when its longer - sometimes MUCH longer.

I have no doubt though that they spend most of it sleeping - I can tell by the quantity of toys Luna has spread around the room, and/or how many toilet paper tubes have been shredded (I sometimes leave them for controlled destruction)

The also get at minimum a "business" walk - at maximum 30-45 minutes walk before I go - plus they get breakfast as part of that morning routine. Luna will got into the room and wait for the treat to come - she will also go in on the command "treat time". Lemon shadows me until i get the treat - then its Barooo.

treats, wash hands, and I'm out the door. They used to bark, but now if I forget somethign and have to go in there, they are already settling in for sleep.

Accidents are rare, but if they occur, the room has only an area rug and a lot of floor space so its easy cleanup...

(edited for stupid typo)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts