Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
4 hours maximum.

Many people leave their beagles for much longer while they are at work all day and some cope very well. Older dogs who are settled and don't suffer from separation anxiety spend most of their time alone sleeping. It's not ideal of course but as long as your dog isn't showing any signs of stress by being left for longer periods than is desirable then I guess it's ok.

Personally I wouldn't extend my 4 hour rule unless in an emergency but I know that both my dogs would be able to cope with longer periods if needed. They do of course have each other which helps. A lone dog can be a very lonely dog if left too long.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy is 3 months and she is in her crate for about 4 hours then my mother in law comes and lets her out for a while then she goes back in for about 4 more hours until I get home. That is through the week only. She is rarely crated on weekends or when we are off work.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We have always tried to let ours out at lunchtime during the weekday. So that would be about 4 to 5 hours. Sometimes things come up and neither of us can come home and it could be 7 to 9 hours. Ours are 8 years old and do fine with this. I don't like to leave them for long periods like this and it isn't too often.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I'm a retired mom, I stayed home with Charlie at most time. If I have to go somewhere during the day depending on the length of time. Less then 5 hours, he stays in the crate, if no one is home. If more than 5 hours, we clean up the garage, cars out, shoes up, toys and water bowls, 2 frozen stuffed kongs, crate will take place. Vacation, dog sitter. He needs a watchful eye still. :hi: you know what will happen!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Normally it is only about 5 hours if I get home late. He is now 9 months old.

However, twice, no choice, I have left him alone 10 to 12 hours. He did amazingly well both times, no mess, no fuss

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glover is 5 months and he is left alone in the back yard for 5 hrs in the morning and then after lunch its 3 hrs max. I only crate him at night.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Bagel is about 14 years old (At least 13 and no more than15) and I go off to work about 8:00 AM and often don't get home until 8 or 9 PM. He happily patrols our backyard keeping it free of pigeons and the lizards light on their toes. He is fine with this routine but if I'm home, he expects to be with me! I rescued him 10 years ago this month and he has always been on that routine but it was that or him being PTS and we both are glad we chose the alternative.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie isn't usually alone more than 4 hours. Now that my husband is retired we don't leave her that long very often.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am forced to leave Chloe alone for about 9 hours..... I think this is why she is still not 100% potty trained (or than again, it might just be stress /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
I wish I could find someome that on a regular basis checks up on her mid-day, but that only works for me once a while... she is doing fine though...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I leave Beaglina in the garden when I'm out during the day and have been doing since she was about 6 months. I usually try and make sure she's not on her own for more than 5 hours - if I know I have a long day coming up I tend to take her to a friend's so she has other dogs for company. In winter she sleeps in/on her kennel quite a lot but in summer she's busy chasing lizards!

On an evening I leave her in the house as she just sleeps (on my bed - that's her treat for being left!)

I left her on her own in her crate for about half an hour right from the beginning (about 2 months old) to try and get her used to it

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is hardly ever left alone. I am a stay at home mom so I'm home all day. If she is alone it's usually just for a few hours, 4 max.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We leave Scout in her crate for about 4 hours. I come home at lunch and let her out. She is usually just laying there waiting for me. We have thought about leaving her in the back yard during the day but we aren't sure what would happen. She doesn't bark much but she will "answer" other dogs at night. But we have to be careful leaving her in the evening. If we are gone out to eat of anything for an extended period of time and she naps, that counts as sleep time that night. So we have to make sure to play and walk her or she cries all night.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
My two are alone for about 9 hours as well while we are at work. Sydney is in a crate and Spencer is in a kennel, they get kongs and food as we are leaving. Oh, and they are 3 years & 2.5 years old however they have been left his long since they were puppies. I have taped them while I am gone and they sleep most of the day (well, asfter Spencer's SA fit).

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two are crated from around 7:30 in the morning until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. They sleep all day in there crates, so there wired when we get home.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I see that some of you leave your beagles in the yard and garden for long hours. Do they tend to destroy things and chew plants? Charlie likes to dig, still do, I found two big holes yesterday. Chewed off sprinkler heads. That's why I can't trust him too long in the yard.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well for the past four months, Lucky has been stuck in his room for about 9 hours a day. We also have a kitty and they keep each other company all day. Lucky does fine. He just sleeps all day. Now I back to my old job where I can come home at lunch to let him out. He will only be alone for about 4 hours a day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
I see that some of you leave your beagles in the yard and garden for long hours. Do they tend to destroy things and chew plants? Charlie likes to dig, still do, I found two big holes yesterday. Chewed off sprinkler heads. That's why I can't trust him too long in the yard.
The only thing the Bagel digs (in our backyard) is his basement every summer when the temp gets up over 100. He has a nice basement dug under his doghouse which is covered with a shade device already and he ignores the basement except June/July/August/September when he likes to lie on the cool wet earth. Now out in the desert, he digs every lizard, ground squirrel, rabbit hole I will let him but he has succeeding in running such critters out of his backyard. I have mostly desert shrubs, agave, some cactus, and a couple trees and the Bagel doesn't bother them either. The Bagel is a fine Gentlebeagle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts