Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Thank you, Judy and Sandy.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Olivia is holding her own.

Our routine is an appetitie stimulant twice a day. This pill works incredibly well. Approx. 30-45 minutes after she gets it, she comes into the kitchen to look for something to eat.

The things she is eating is not appropriate for a renal diet but she is at a point where we are happy for whatever she eats. This includes meat baby food, hot cereal, liver sausage, KFC chicken legs (as suggested by a friend of mine), mac/cheese, doggie carob candy, she even eats dog food sometimes.

At night we give her about 150 to 200 ccs of sub-q fluids. She gets this while I hold her on the sofa. It gives us a chance to snuggle. She and I and Henry are still sleeping on the sofa bed in the computer room. We have to be low to the ground and close to the front door since she gets up several times a night to go out to wee-wee.

She is still loosing weight and still in renal failure but at least she isn't uncomfortable due to hunger. She even gets a little pep in her step every so often. She almost chased a deer out of the yard with Henry and Kelsey.

She is in a much better place this weekend than last. Your prayers have given us more time with her than we thought we had.

Thank you very much for that.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Denise, I'm so happy that Olivia's eating and holding her own. It's wonderful that you've been given more time with her without having to sacrifice quality of life. As for what she's eating, my thoughts on that are the same as I have for very elderly people. At this point, just let her have what she wants. She's earned it, and it keeps her eating. :angel:

Prayers will continue to be said for both of you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so glad that Olivia is comfortable. From the looks of the picture, Henry is certainly taking good care of his sister. It sounds like you have gotten into a routine but am sure the stress is taking its toll on you. Please take care of yourself. I, too, am all for letting our senior pups have whatever will stimulate their appetites. I never let Maggie have treats at the vet, not being sure how they would agree with her. Visit before last at the vet the techs wanted to give her chicken bites (not sure what they are called) and I said "sure" -- the last visit Maggie ran in the door and right up to the tech at the phone and tried to jump up on her lap. It was great seeing her happy to be there and wanting to eat! Let us know how your week goes, Denise -- hugs to all!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Denise - It's great to hear that Olivia is holding her own. As I've said before, Olivia's condition is very similar to what I went through with Amber. It's great that she's eating though. That was where we had so many problems. We couldn't get Amber to eat and the vet never offered an appetite stimulant for us. Mike was going to start feeding her applesauce with a turkey baster...that's how desperate we were getting. Our vet was very particular about us keeping to the renal diet. I wish that I had ignored that and just made sure that she was eating. Does Olivia tolerate the IV fluids well? Amber hated it. Sometimes I wouldn't leave pressure on the needle site long enough after I took it out and she'd start to leak. Those first few days of getting a routine going with the IV was really a catastrophe. I hope you've had more luck than I did at first.

I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Give her some love from me and Jersey! And to Henry too for being such a great brother.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Thanks, Jen.

I really like this vet...she is realistic and practical and willing to let you lead in the direction that you want to go. She was actually a second opinion, not our usual vet. I'm thinking about changing over to her with our other two but we've been with our regular vets for 10+ years and there is some reservations.

As for the fluids...it all depends on where Jeff puts the needle. We aren't giving them intravenous but subcutaneous which is right under the skin. I haven't stuck her yet...having a hard time making myself do it but will have to tomorrow because Jeff will be working nights. I'm an RN and confident in my skills with people but can't do the same thing to animals. Weird, huh?

This appetitie stimulant ROCKS!!! It is mainly used on cats but thanks to my friend whose vet in Louisiana put her dog on it, Olivia is benefitting from the knowledge. Olivia ate especially well tonite after her second dose.

Thanks for your prayers and encouragement. It helps more than you realize.

~Denise

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Denise ... I'm happy to hear that she is eating and you are enjoying your time together with her. This new vet sounds wonderful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts