Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
19,926 Posts
RC: Don't give up on the beagle breed!! In spite of Maggie's long and complicated medical history, I wouldn't trade in one second of our time together and I definitely see beagles in my future. I believe that one of the things that makes this BW forum so great is how involved we get in each other's lives, albeit, for the most part, only over the internet. For that reason, I think we feel each other's pain when our pups are sick -- is this because we have beagles and not another breed? Who knows - but, for every beagle that has health problems, there are hundreds more that don't. Also, keep in mind that many of us have rescue beagles who may well have not received the best of medical care when it was most important during puppyhood and early adulthood. I know that you could not resist another set of beagle eyes and beagle ears! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Actually Rick, Beagles are a rather healthy breed. That is one of the biggest reasons why so many are used in laboratories and experimented on. It's just that we tend to talk here about the health issues we encounter to get some advice and encouragement when things are bad. Lots of us have (knock wood) perfectly healthy babies. So far (knock wood again!), the only problems I've had with Jersey have been from her Beagley nose leading her to things her Beagley belly shouldn't be eating. Beagles are known for disc issues, but I don't think any breed doesn't have a common problem that they are known for. You know you couldn't pass up on another little Beagle face...big floppy ears, soulful brown eyes... :heart:

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Rick,

If its IVDD, it can affect all disks. But like I said, a full recovery takes time. Bernie is still early in his recovery. For now, be happy he is walking. As for his back bing sore, you world be too if someone opened you up and kept pushing on the scar. :eyes:

Time will tell the tale. Again, patience is a must.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Murphy had two herniated disks where the lumbar and thoracic meet. The repair removed the pressure on the spinal cord, so there should not {knock-on-wood} be a re-occurrence. But there was bruising of the spinal cord, hence his issues. Sadly, if his regular vet would have been on-call that weekend, things mightt have turned out differently.

IVDD is degenerative and affects all the disks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.