Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am so proud of Penny (Beagle) today. Our little Corgi Tuppence was speyed yesterday . Whilst Tuppence was at the Vet, Penny was lost without her playmate and we were very concerned that our boisterous Penny would be too excited and rough upon her return. So, we had decided to keep them separated for a few days.

Well, as it turns out, neither wanted to be separated - Tuppence cried until Penny was near her. Penny has been so gentle and understanding - it is amazing to watch. Right now, Tuppence is having a rest and Penny is just lying next to her - ocassionally licking her face and keeping a watchful eye.

Do you have any "Gentle Beagle" stories?:)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That is so sweet.
I do believe they know. When Cole was neutered we had the same concern with Roscoe. The two of them wrestle and go nuts together. However, Roscoe was great. He sniffed Cole's wound and didn't bother him or try to even wrestle (which is a daily event). Only when Cole was up to it and ready, Roscoe waited for him to initiate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i wish i could say milo was as gentle.
bindi had a dislocated nail removed so her paw was bandaged up and covered almost 3/4 of her leg. it was the first time they were separated for a whole day (bindi stayed at my friends house for the day after the vet visit) and milo was upset and crying at the front gate all day waiting for her return. when she did return at night, he was too excited and kept knocking her over but noticed she wouldnt play with him due to her sore paw so he would grab her bandage and rip it off.
He done this with about 4 different bandages in 4 days, but i guess he was gentle enough not to bite her leg in the process...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Charlie is a very gentle Beag.

To many times to mention, all I know is I have never came across a dog like him.

I believe too that they know- your right it is amazing to watch.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Although mine are very boisterous young pups, they have their gentle side also. I have severe arthritis in my knees and when I am feeling horrible, they will lie done next to me, one on each side of my knees and keep them warm. If someone, even my dh or sons comes near, they are right there, standing up to be sure no one touches mom. When Cobi's arthritis kicks up, thankfully not at the same time as mine, they snuggle together to keep Cobi's legs warm....but as soon as he is better, its a tossle on the floor just to remind each other who is boss.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker is very gentle with babies and adults alike. WE have no fear having Tucker play with babies. They can pull on him, anything, and he just takes it. Last year my wife had gallbladder surgery while we were trying to sell out house. I had already moved. While she was recovering from the surgery, Tucker would lay by her side all day to keep her company. He also didn't demand walks. My Mother-in-Law was there too to help out so my wife wasn't all by herself.

Now Yuki and Niko........ We don't know yet, but they sure aren't gentle with us.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Two days since Tuppence's operation - things are back to normal - rough and tumble! I don't know who is the biggest culprit Penny or Tuppence, but as soon as Tuppence needs a rest, Penny leaves her alone.

I asked the vet is it OK - and the answer seems YES. The vet said that as long as another dog is not pulling at the stitches it is fine for them to play rough and tumble! They recover much better than we do!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Willie's very sweet-natured. The only time he's boisterous is when he's intially uncrated and ready for a walk. Most of the time, he enjoys trotting along beside you calmly, or curling up on your feet. I had a bad flu in the fall, when we'd only had him for about a month, and he curled up right next to me in bed for two days and only moved when my SO took him for a walk, and to eat dinner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My beagle, Priscilla (also known as Beag or "The Landshark"), is a crazy yet lovable little creature. She is very gentle and patient with kids. She will put up with a lot of stuff from the kids. I can get her pretty wound up. It's nice though, because despite her smaller stature she doesn't mind getting rough housed with and she will fight back with me full force. She is pretty good with other dogs too...except my girlfriends Great Pyr. The Great Pyr snapped at my daughter one day and my beagle was on that dog like white on rice...kind of funny seeing a 150lb dog getting beat down by a 25lb one. I gotta say, I love having a beagle around. When my exwife first got her, I wasn't a huge fan....but now 3.5 years a divorce later...look who has the beag.

One minute, she'll be tearing through the house like an out of control rocket, and then the next, she is asleep on my chest. It's wonderfully chaotic.

It's like this patient my girlfriend was working with said when he was missing his beagles in the hospital "They are destructive and stubborn little dogs...but you just can't help but love them."

·
Registered
79 Posts
We've noticed that Starla is very gentle and affectionate with children and any animal smaller than her. With bigger dogs and adults she's all about romping and playing...and kisses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts