·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do your dogs bite and make funny noises as they bite at each other? :heart:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have been told this is normal. We only have one pup, but he plays with us like that from time to time. Vet and trainer said it's because that is how puppies play with one another and he is falling back into that with us when he is having a lot of fun, or has a lot of energy. I remember seeing him play with his littermates, and it as comical, play biting, barking, yelping, etc. I just wish he would not do that with us so much.

I even remember shooing his brother away from him when I saw them acting like that. It made me nervous.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
My two play very rough, while they bark and growl. They never actually bite each other thoguh, it is just all mouthing. They do pull on each others tails and collars though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is playing rough too, but to an observer it looks like a small lion cub playing and pouncing.
She likes to pull on ears... but mostly its mouthing... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
My three sound like they are about to kill each other. I usually tell them to use there indoor voices? It usually doesn't work.
Jasmine likes to pounce on Maggie's back. Its funny to see her actually go from a standing position to hovering over Maggie.
Mick our other dog constantly growls at Jasmine. But likes her to lay down next to him?
Maggie loves to play (what I would call) tag with Jasmine and Mick. Some days Jasmine and Mick have Maggie pinned to the ground.
Somedays we have to break it up because they are at the vocal level of us not knowing if its a real fight.... Then we the get crooked head look?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Caesar and Emma play rough and loud, but we've learned what play growling and barking sounds like and what "help" yelping sounds like. That's when we break it up. Most of the time it's all good. They try to prove who's dominant and they're very vocal and even though it sounds bad they rarely hurt each other.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rhett and Scarlett play rough together all the time. The most humorous thing though is Scarlett is about 9 or 10 inches and Rhett is a big 17 inch boy and she runs him everywhere, bites him everywhere, and growls at him everywhere during play time. He just mouthes her a lot and plays chase.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tonight marks only one week for us a a two-beagle house, but I'm used to watching my sister-in-law's two labs go at it.
Our Sadie & Sparky are burning up alot of energy play fighting too. There's even ear pulling, but if you watch closely, they're carefull about it. I watch their tails. I think if they are up and wagging, everybody's having a good time. If one goes down, someone feels threatened by what's happening.
The only real tension we're seeing between them is that Sparky will snap a Sadie over a toy or treat. Last night I was at the stove cooking and Sparky was at my feet, hoping I'd drop something. Sadie walked by and he lunged at her... :grr: "Watch it little guy! This is DAD'S food. Not yours!" :nono5:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bonnie and Rasha only play in the house and then its a fairly quiet affair, just the odd bark to egg each other on. The play is fairly rough but never gets beyond play.

Willow will sometimes play with Rasha in the house but mainly they play outside where its nearly allways very noisy, they make this sort of high pitched whail cum growl if its in the house you can't hear the tv.

Sometimes all three play together but they only all play outside and mainly on walks where Rasha will start the play fight then Bonnie and Willow join forces and gang up on Rasha quite often its in long grass where they knock Rasha over and then keep her off balance so she cannot get to her feet and they just keep on attacking her as if the are getting their own back. It is a very funny sight when they play this game.

At the end they all shake themselves down and carry on as if nothing has happened, they always sleep together and all get on very well together, I guess we are very lucky that they get on so well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you for soothing my fears!!! Polly just pulls on Georgia's collar and jumps on her...
in fact, Polly straddles EVERYTHING. :rolleyes: She is always straddling Georgia, us, anything on the floor....
is she trying to be the alpha dog? :p
I think so :rolleye11:

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Taurus's Mom: Yes she is trying to show her dominance. Our girl dog did that to our boy dog. We thought she might be a bit weird and asked our vet. It is nothing sexual. Just showing dominance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My puppies play really rough! If its just lemon and boni playing with eachother.. my other two puppies usually jump in and they all gang up on poor Lemon.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Poor Snoopy only has us to play with as the little old blind shih-tzu avoids him like the plague. He is a big mouther though and he too tries to straddle - my son especially....
At puppy preschool he'd try and straddle every other dog ( much to everyones amusement) but by the last week he was nearly bottom dog :biglaugh:

I think vocalising especially those high pitched yelps is normal when dogs play together- just their way of telling the other "ouch that hurt, ease up a little".

I was reading the classifieds today and saw there was a 9mths old beagle girl free to good home....I wondered if it's one of Snoopy's littermates that someone has got fed up of. Sad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Wish I could adopt another but we can only have a maximum of 2 dogs where we live. Poor Snoops will have to wait another few years for a play buddy. The kids are getting better with him though and the oldest isn't as scared of him and has started playing with him with toys etc...until he gets too mouthie....but he's getting better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts