Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that, rambunctious as he is, Boeing kind of likes something mellow when it comes to having some music around. When he rides in the car with me, he'll get fidgety when the news is left on but as soon as I switch to something instrumental and easy-listening, he'll settle down in the passenger seat and sigh. Once we were sitting together on the floor and I had one arm around his little body, I hummed Chopin's Nocturne to him and guess what, his breathing slowed down and he dozed off while sitting!! And when I stopped, he woke with a little start!! How strange! :rolleye11:

Is it just coincidence? Does any of your beagles react to music?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not sure how my Oliver likes music.
I absolutely love music, listen to it on my commute to work, at the gym, at work all day.
When my wife and I leave for work in the mornings we leave a radio on for Oliver, we leave it on some smoooooth jazz for him. I don't think it effects him though either way.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Not sure about music but we leave the radio on for our two if we leave them. Seems to calm them down.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Dogs do not like isolation so any noise which could be associated with life is trtuely a plus in a dog life. They do love music, sounds of cars, people talking, even the sound of a clock. As it is for human, low and regular sounds are calming and more energetic and loud sounds can excite them.
When it comes to music, we should be awae of the sound of a lone flute or violins who will hurt their ears and make them "sing"

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I do not know, never notice and never try. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Charlie mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey loves U2. Whenever I play them she quiets down, especially with slower songs. Seems like she got that from me...Bono's voice can always soothe my nerves. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a colleague who also leaves the radio and electric fan on for her pommeranian while she's at work. Well, I guess the only effect music has on dogs is that it calms them somewhat..any kind of music as long as it's not a howl-triggering noise. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by rjdmtb:

When my wife and I leave for work in the mornings we leave a radio on for Oliver, we leave it on some smoooooth jazz for him. I don't think it effects him though either way.
Our girls listen to smooth jazz also. When they are out in their playpen during the day, music is almost always on. They like it. They also like the Bee Gees. It often keeps them calmer, if possible, when in the pen and the squirrels are taunting them.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
When my son practices piano, our lab mix, Kelsey, howls. She doesn't do it right away and she lies quietly while she does it. Are her ears hurting?

And when we leave, we leave a fan going. There is alot of white noise in the house, especially at bedtime.

Just now, my son played a little baby music box with Brahms Lullabye on it...very softly...for Henry. Henry got scared, jumped off of the sofa and got under the computer desk. Sigh...

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just got a piano, which I have wanted for years, and am learning to play again. My "boys" would sit on the couch and listen, sometimes "sing" when I played. Now that Cobi is alone, he doesn't sing often, just sighs and sleeps to the music. BUT when my son plays his "LOUD" music, he will go in my bedroom and hide under the covers. Maybe Cobi is a little wiser than I am.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The only time Duke pays attention is when I start dancing aroung with the dogs, then they all join in the fun. Oh, or the Meaty Bone song, they all can name that tune in 3 notes!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Both Zoey and her big sis Katey are oblivious to music, no reaction whatsoever. Sometimes I'll play videos of coonhounds baying on Youtube and that keeps there attention.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe couldn't care less about music or other dogs bay on the computer.... when her pal Abby start howling, that's a different case.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maggie definitely reacts to music. Rap in particular. I don't like rap but there is one song in particular called the whistle song that she will howl right along. Otherwise she just chills out and listens. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
147 Posts
i've only seen homer react to 3 kinds of music-
norah jones-which he hates.he will writher around on the floor and whine and howl like he is in pain until i stop the cd-which makes hubby proud cuz he hates norah jones too.sometimes i'll turn it off and on just to mess with him-hehe
piano music in movies he is so confused about-just stares at the tv tilting his head....so cute!
and really creepy horror movie music he freaks about-he will jump up from his pillow and bark and then pace the living room growling looking for something-and usually the surround sound is on which doesn't help-i love rewinding movies when he is in the living room with us /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/greendevil.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby use to howl to Gretchen Wilson, she doesn't do it anymore though.

She tends to react to high pitched noises (music and other sounds). If it's low bass she has mistaken it for banging or pounding and barked her "alert" bark.

I can't think of any other music she reacts to.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer only reacts to two things... The theme song from Law & Order or Billy Joel, Summer will run up to the speakers and howl. Its the only time she does.

Murphy on the other hand only reacts when I play my guitar. It really scares him. He is why I haven't played in 10 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts