Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone does with their dogs in the vehicle?
When Caesar was small I just put him in the back of my SUV because he was too small to jump over the seat. Now I put on his harness (not the kind that goes over his head, the one that his front legs slip through) and I have him clipped to the seat belt which is buckled in. The air bag automatically shuts off with him in the passenger seat. This way he can still look out the window but if we're ever in an accident he won't go flying into windshield.
I can't remember if this subject has come up before. I was just curious about what everyone does.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized that I spelled Beagle wrong. Beadgle? Oops!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I have a travel folding crate which I bought from Target. Charlie grew up with it, and he loves going in it everytime we take a ride. At one time it was folded down, and he tried to nose it up...so cute. Charlie's trainer recommended to keep him in the crate while travelling, yes, I know no view. But what if he sees another dog?! He's usually very calm and quiet in the back seat.

Charlie mom

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours have a strong cage in the back of our car. We have a second, lighter cage for our camper-car. They seem very happy in both.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Henry wears a seatbelt/harness in the back seat. I don't have a "disable" option for the front seat airbags.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have a seatbelt leash that clips to her harness. The loop goes through the seatbelt. People laugh at me when they get in my car because I usually have to unhook the seatbelt and move the harness to let them in my car. Jersey's in the car with me all the time, so it's more convenient to just keep it hooked up. Sometimes she sits in the front, sometimes in the back. I know it's safer for her in the back, but she likes riding in the front. She's very well behaved and just sits nicely looking out the windows while we ride. I used to give her more freedom, but after the attempted escape at the McDonald's drive-thru, she gets seatbelted in.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We use the seatbelt through the harness...he is ALL over the car without it, and tries to get in my lap

Amanda

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Usually our "boy,s" are tethered to the tool-box in the back of my truck for the trip! :thumbup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
We also use the seatbelt leash that clips to the harnesses of Cecil and Brandy. In my car, Brandy rides in the front seat and Cecil behind me in the back seat. Brandy is great and sits most of the time; Cecil, on the other hand, puts her little feet on the window seel and peers out beside my head or she stands and peers thru the center console area. Sometimes when I can't see Cecil's head, she is trying to chew thru her seatbelt leash. I have to reach around and grab her and then she stops. She had chewed thru 3-4 of those things and freed herself to walk back and forth across the back seat. She can't fall as I have a small sports car and there is no foot room back there. When we ride in the truck the same is used in the backseat and I ride between them as Brandy tends to get anxious if she cannot see totally like in the front seat of my car. It's and adventure. They travel well, but Cecil is always so busy unless we are coming home from the Pet park or Doggie Day care and they are exhausted. Then Cecil will lie down or sit nice like Brandy. I think a long trip in the truck would be o.k. but not in my car...too bad!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts