Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to teach Winston to lie down. The books both said basically, make him follow the treat in your hand or get him to sit then move his front legs into position. I've tried both methods and nearly lost an arm in the process. Any other suggestions? I am sure if I can get him to do it once with whatever method, I'll at least have a chance of getting him to do it again.

Winston is 3 months old, am I crazy to think he can start learning basics at this age?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I used the treat to lure Chloe to lie down. She got it within 5 minutes..... after the first time she figured out how to get the treat.

It takes patience, lots of it.
Sit on the floor with him, let him sniff the treat and hide it in your fist. Then place our fist on the ground in front of him and say the command, calm and assertive. Say it once every 30 seconds or so, until he gets it. When he does, praise like there's no tomorrow and give him the treat. After a few times like that, he'll get it. Promise.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I just spent 5 minutes wincing in pain as he lunged for my hands. Fortunately still have both arms but there is a hole in my sweater....
will try again tomorrow....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It takes a little time with young puppies. You'll get there.
When he tries to launch at you, make a loud noise to get him to stop. Everytime he does something good (like stop nipping), praise him.
Basically get used to praising him for everything good he does during the day, regardless to him being in a 10 minute training session.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When we taught ours to lie down, we did something similar. First I made them sit, then I would take the treat in my hand and let them follow it to the ground. If they didn't lie down in the process I would put GENTLE pressure on their back above their shoulders. It was just enough encouragement, on top of the treat, to get them to lie down. It took a little bit but they both eventually got it.
We still work with them off and on though. There have been moments where I can tell they know what I want, but they look at me with those eyes that say... and you expect me to do something? haha We also made use of hand signals as well, using a down motion in order to help them connect the command to the action. Hope that helps you!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how to get Winston (we call him the ADD dog), to be lured anywhere by a treat, He just dive bombs for it. Now the vet has him off all treats so training just went way out the window. Bribes were my only hope.......

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can you use his food as a treat? I do that sometimes with my two trouble makers. Maybe before you try teaching him to lie down, you should work with him about not diving for his treat. That might help save your arms some.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I can use the food as a treat, if I am careful not to overdo it. Definately have to tame the savage beast first!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was using a higher end grain free treat. Now I have to use a piece of kibble because he's restricted until his rash clears up. The problem with using a hard piece of kibble is by the time he finishes it, he's forgotten why he got it in the first place.
If I show him the treat first, he knows it's in my hand and just lunges after it, gnawing on my hand to get it.
I have read about clicker training,(even have a 59 cent clicker) but if he doesn't do what he's supposed to in the first place, I rarely get to click it. Any tips?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunatley he's allowed NOTHING until his itchy rash is cleared up. Some incentive for him to learn anything, eh?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
OK, so you might want to wait with feeding on the days you want to work with him. First do the training for 5-10 minutes with kibble, this way he is hungry and will most likely cooperate, and then when the session is done, give him the rest of the food.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow it definitely sounds like you need to get the diving for your hand under control first. Have you ever watched or looked into some of the methods of Cesar Millan (Dog Whisperer)? We've used some of his techniques and they seem to help.

You may want to try giving him a good long walk before you work with the training. It might be enough to take some of the edge off of his excitement. If he's tired, he'll still want the treat but might not be as crazy about it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We didn't have any problems with Blue and lie down, but we learned he is an exception at obedience training yesterday. Lie down to a dog is an act of submission. You will first need to establish dominance with your puppy before you try to train lie down. With the lunging, it sounds to me that he is still thinking he is the dominate one in the mix.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's MomI was using a higher end grain free treat. Now I have to use a piece of kibble because he's restricted until his rash clears up. The problem with using a hard piece of kibble is by the time he finishes it, he's forgotten why he got it in the first place.
If I show him the treat first, he knows it's in my hand and just lunges after it, gnawing on my hand to get it.
I have read about clicker training,(even have a 59 cent clicker) but if he doesn't do what he's supposed to in the first place, I rarely get to click it. Any tips?
Clicker training is all about timing. You want to click as soon as he does anything close to the desired command - click as soon as he gets any where near the ground. So lure him to a down from a sit position, even if he doesn't get fully into a drop click as soon as he lowers himself (if that makes sense). You also want to make sure you have done work to condition him so he knows that click = treat.

I only ever train with high value treats like roast chicken - a good meat for dogs with allergies, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts