Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winston is just over 3 months old. I think he's huge for his age. 16 lbs at the vet a week ago, and 11 inches tall. He does look very leggy.
My family doesn't think he's too big. Is this average??
I met his parents. They weren't very big.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Star Wars BeagleWow, sounds like my Menolly. She was that big at four months.
You mean there is hope that he won't be as big as a St. Bernard?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
, don't worry, St. Bernards he won't be!

He will be on the bigger side of the Beagles, though. Like Maggie, my Chloe is tiny: 16 lb and 13. I love her just like that, she's my portable Beagle
. Chloe's pal (Abby) is 15 and weighs about 36 lb. She is only 5 months older than Chloe, but everyone thinks she is Chloe's mother.

Don't worry, he will grow to the height and weight he is destined to. Beagles come is various sizes, colors and shapes (kinda).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is a bigger beagle also. She is tall compared to other beagle we see and her weight is between 32 and 34 pounds depending on whether I am home enough to keep everyone from letting her snack all day! Thirty-two is a pretty good weight for her.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My Daisy is little, probably 13 and about 20lbs (but she really should be about 17lbs)

Rocky is a little lankier, maybe 15 or 16 and about 27 lbs.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Mine are both small beagles. Matter of fact, our friends that recently visited from up north were surprised by their small size since they were used to seeing bigger beagles. Duke is 13 and 24 lbs (but all muscle, he's very lean) and Violet is 11 (barely) and 18 lbs. I think vi may have been bred to be a pocket beagle but it's hard to say since she was a stray.

My coworker has a 4 m/o that is over 20 pounds already. Duke was in puppy school with a beag that was much larger than him, but 2 months younger.

But Duke also grew longer than other dogs I've seen, he gained over an inch between 12-14 months, and usually their height levels off around 10-11 months.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Baxter is 5 months old and he is 12.6 lbs and 11 inches tall.
I have been trying to find info too, about sizes of beagles etc. so this info is great.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My pack ranges from about 10.5-11, 16# up to about 13# and 32#. My biggest boy was Romeo, who is no longer with me (he went to live with his best friend, my grandson, Tony). Roms was 14.75 and about 43# - and all muscle. I think my biggest two now are JoJo and Princess, who are in the 13, 30+ size range. The two younger girls are about 12.5 and about 20-22#, and the two boys are 13 and about 23# and 13# and about 30# - tho they're littermates, Jack has always been sturdier than his brother, Joe. Chloe is the lightweight - tho Lottie is a tiny bit shorter, she's also stockier - they're both very small and my super stud, Tanna is 12.5 and about 20# - he's pretty small so his kids are all smaller. They're just all sizes and shapes. But they're ALL beagles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey give my Tinker a run for his money then! He's been offered a position in the BBA (Beagle Basketball Association) but feels he is too old to play. So, Tinker is 9 years old, 45 pounds (with the very outline of his ribs and rib cage showing so it's not all fat...) and over 18 inches at the shoulders. Many people have asked us if he is a Harrier but he's all Beagle. We got him at 2 yrs of age so we didn't get to see his growth progression as a puppy. I don't know if pups sprout suddenly during certain months of their first year or if it's mostly genetic or even food related (too much protien?) or just random or if the growth is even. They are considered fully grown by one year, correct? Strangely, there are several Beagles up at the brand new local dog park that are pretty close to Tinker's height, one is about 17.5 (judging with my 'mark one eyeball') and two more gotta be about 16 to 16.5 or so. Perhaps it's more common than we think to have a 15 inch Beagle grow past the 15 inch mark. The standard does say not more than 15, but more than 13. Perhaps for fun you could mark his height on the edge of a door jamb once a month or every two weeks just to see if he is getting taller evenly or intermittenly, just like parents do for their kids sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts