Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Ginger not too long ago. Right now the kids are taking care of her during the day while I'm at work. Since summer vacation is coming to an end for them, I need to figure out how I should handle Ginger's bathroom habit. How are you handling your dog while at work? Leave them outside and risk escapes? Crate them for hours? Train them to use non-carpet area to relive themselves? Suggestions?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Crate train is your best method. Just make sure that Ginger has SAFE toys in her crate, and if someone can check on her while you are on lunch or when they get the chance, that's great. My beagles/dogs do great in the crate and are happy when I get home. It's the best way to keep things from getting destroyed and keeps your beagle pup safe.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We used the crate only with Roscoe and he was fine. With Cole we used the crate but left it open and got one of those pen-type enclosures for him. It also worked great and I felt better b/c he had a bit more move around room!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rocky is still young so at lunch time I had my son come home to let him out. He would be in his crate for about 3.5 hours by the time my son arrived. Then, the kids are home about 2 hours later, me, 2.5 (I work part-time). Now that he's older, I hope he can go the whole time without my son needing to come home. He can go the whole night after all, about 8 hours, so why not 6.5 during the day?

·
Registered
504 Posts
My beagle is 8 months, and she can hold it for 12 hours. She has been able to hold it for that long since she was 4 months of age.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is gated in the kitchen. She has toys, water, TV on, her bed etc. She has a view of our side yard too. She used to get into all kinds of trouble in there at first but has settled down. I have a treat filled toy for her and hand it to her when I leave.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bet they can't go the whole day because they slept all night - they want to play all day!

Quinn and Grayson have slept through the night since we got them, but I think they were used to peeing on their blanket or bed, so that's what did it. Today, Grayson went 12 hours without going potty. I had to wake him up at 9:30am to get him outside. Usually, he's whining and throwing a fit.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We put in a dog run. You can buy a 6-panel dog run at Home Depot, Petsmart, etc. for a few hundred dollars. Initially I looked at buying the poles and chain link fencing materials myself. But after analyzing the cost it was cheaper to buy a setup. You might also look on Craigslist.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm only in the office 1-2 days a week. The rest of the time I work from home.

On the office days we put Murphy in the laundry room. At one end we lay down 6 piddle pads. He has a crate and there are a couple soft towels on the floor in front of the crate for him to nap on.

He has water, a few treats and some toys. We've beagle proofed the laundry room so I'm sure he can't get into anything. The basement is cool in the summer, warm in the winter and he's protected from the elements (such as an Iowa thunderstorm).

I have no problem with him using the piddle pads. I wouldn't want to hold it all day and I wouldn't ask Murphy to either. He's to the point where it appears he only goes once during the day-perhaps at some point he'll decide to hold it all day. He never misses the piddle pads.

On occasion both my wife and I will run errands on a Saturday morning-Murphy has no problem staying in the house for 2-3 hours by himself. We don't put him in the laundry room unless it's going to be a full day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When we first got Snoopy she was just over a year old. She was not properly trained and never had full run of her previous home. We started with a crate, then moved to open crate confined to the kitchen. Then allowed access to living room until we knew she could have free roam all day without incident. It didn't take long (probably because of her age). Had she been younger it would have taken more time to be sure she wouldn't have accidents or eat the couch while we were at work. For a younger dog I would not let them go all day without a potty break. But that is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: Mollys MomMolly is gated in the kitchen. She has toys, water, TV on, her bed etc.
I like to leave a tv or radio on for the boys! I just learned not to leave Animal Planet on while I am not here b/c certain animal sounds can get them riled up

·
Registered
295 Posts
Daisy was a stray and about 1 when I got her. She was crated at first, then earned run of the house when she finally got housebreaking. Throughout it all, my retired neighbor has let her out around noon. He refused payment, so I cook for him and his wife several times a month.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Does anyone know if there are tall doorway gates made? Jake stays up to 12 hours in his crate (thankfully not often) and it would be great if I could leave him in my hall bath. The tall gate would come in because Gabby would possibly jump over a short one to be with Jake.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A crate is my only ounce of sanity. But He's not in it for long, hubby comes home at lunch and kids home from school no later than 4. I work shifts so we can actually go for a couple of weeks or more in a row that someone is home all day.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When Caesar was still a pup I could bring him to work. When he got around a year old we bought a 4'x4' excercise pen and left it in the kitchen. That way he had his bed, food and water, plus a little more room to play. And if he had an accident it was easy to clean because of the lino flooring. Now he (and GSD/husky Emma) have a bedroom to play in all day if the weather is yucky. If the weather is nice we leave them outside. In the yard they have 2 doghouses, a kiddie pool, toys, food and water. But every Wednesday they go to daycare.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Smeagle,
What kind of fencing do you have? We are new to our house and our next big project is fencing in an area in our yard for the dogs, I want to make sure it is safe and secure for them and would like to get some ideas!
Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally Posted By: SmeagleMy dogs are all kept outside when we're not home. We have a very secure yard and fencing so there is no way they could escape.
I wish there was a way my parents would let me do that at their house with my puppies. I trust their backyard way before I trust mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dog holds it for the entire day. I take him out before I leave around 7am for about 45 minutes and he does his business, and then there are times I come home for lunch but its really not needed. I get home at 5pm and hes ready to go out of course. Lol. Hes only had two accidents in the 6 months Ive had him. Hes four years old. You should have to establish that going outside is the right thing to do, and to come get you when he/she wants out.

I also dont keep food down all day either. I feed him in the morning, and a large helping at dinner time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts