Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casper is soon going to be 11 and he seems so listless. i don't know what he does all day while I'm gone but I'm guessing he sleeps in front of the patio doors in the sun. His toys never move anymore. He seems like he can only walk a short ways and he is tired.he sleeps all evening and night. Even at 14 Sugar never slept this much.
a recent trip to the vet assured me is healthy for his age except his heart murmur. I was told that he if he started to cough a bit it was time to put him on meds for the murmur. no other signs of being sore or anything. no changes in food. We lost Sugar in december but it didn't seem to bother him then.
the only time he seems active is when somebody first comes to visit, then he goes asleep on their lap.
Any ideas or suggestions, any other lazy ole Beags, any others with experience with heart murmur?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dog is probably around 11,12,13 (who knows with rescues) years old and has had a heart murmur for the last 3 or so years. He does the coughing thing but isnt on meds and doesnt seem any less active then before, considering his age. I forget which class of heart murmur the vet said he had, but it is one of the worse ones.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Li'l Girl is 10. She doesn't have a heart murmur, and her activity level varies with the seasons. During the winter, she likes to stay inside where it's warm and snooze a lot. Since the weather's gotten warmer, she's outside a lot watching and trying to catch squirrels and chipmunks. When it gets hot, she'll stay inside more.

All in all she's pretty much like her mama except for the chasing squirrels and chipmunks.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Shasta will be 13 on June 1st. Her face is mostly white and she has slowed down but not as much as I would have expected. She still loves walks and feels honor-bound to let me know that a dog is on the sidewalk, across the street, five houses down and coming our way!! Her appetite has shown no sign of slacking off, if anything, she now begs more for treats and loves every last one of them. She does sleep alot more in the last couple of years. She has a heavy thick coat and does not seem to feel the cold, but does not sunbath as long as she once did. Now it is frequent, but short sessions. She has no diagnosed heart murmur but does cough from time to time which I have my Vet constantly monitor. All my troops are on joint suppliments as a sort of preventive medicine. I would feel totally blessed if Megan were in as good a shape as Shasta at 13. She has approximately 4 years till she gets there. You just do the best you can with the dog you have been given. It is a roll of the genetic dice most times.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our Gunnar boy is 11. Except for his fatty tumors he is in really good shape. His eating habits have never changed, he still likes to run and play with Daisy in the backyard and I love when he is the one trying to get her to play
He is a little stiff when waking up but a good stretch fixes that. His face is really white now and he does sleep a lot but also spends quality time outside in the sun. I have to say I get that sad feeling in the pit of my stomach when we watch old videos of the kids and there he is so young and with such vibrant color on his face and then I look at him now and that's when I really see the age and realize there won't be another 11 yrs with him. It goes by so darn fast

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
He's probably just slowing down. I dont know if you got around to see it but posted up a dog age chart here in the health section and it looks like your beag is around 70ish in human years. I think it just depends on the beag, my dog is a pup and he's really lazy, and i had a doberman who was 12 and right until the day he passed pulled me a good 2-3 miles for a walk every day.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Ours are both 9. Sadie is still high energy. She still goes crazy and runs in circles and attacks Pooh Bear playfully. She got on a scent in the back yard this morning and ran around the yard for over an hour sniffing and yipping.

Pooh Bear is more laid back and has always been. He doesn't run around anymore. Plays with toys once in a while. He will sniff around on a scent trail for a bit, but them comes inside to lay down.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel is between 14 and 17. He sleeps all night, gets up and stretchs when I put on my shoes to go work, rolls on his back and plays like a pup. rushs to the bedroom door, zooms to the back door and bounces till I let him out, does a quick patrol, eats his breakfast, then patrols the backyard all day, fretting at lizards, catching an occasional nap, sniffing about, and admonishing any pigeon that strays by. When I return from work, he comes in the house, has his last zoomie (A routine from den to dining room through kitchen to hall to bedroom and back down hall through kitchen dining room to den) of a couple laps around the house then he settles in the room I'm in, till time for bed. On weekends we play in the desert or the mountains. I notice as he getting older he does take a nap after three or four hours of constan digging but heck, he's earned it and 30 minutes later he's ready to go on another sniff adventure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is 7 considered senior?

Oreo doesn't particularly have an independent energy level. When I take him out, he's happy to walk and walk and walk. He's perfectly fine with a 4 mile hike. But when I spend a day sitting on the couch, he'll sit there with me, snoozing away, occasionally getting up to stretch.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Though my beagles are young, my yellow lab, Cassie, is 13 now. I have noticed a big slow down in her (but then, 10-12 is normal lab life span). She has a lot of health issues, fatty tumors, arthritis, displasia, and heart murmor and she's on different meds. But all in all, she does pretty well. She does sleep a lot and it is hard for her to get up at times, but once she's up, she can still jump around when a treat is involved. And her mind is as active as ever.

Matter of fact, the clever girl knows that if she's lying down and I go over to pet her, if she gets up, I feel bad that she got up and usually end up getting her a treat. Now every time I so much as scratch the top of her head, she starts getting up! That's why she's mommy's tubba girl.

With Roscoe (13 y/o lab we lost last year), his health was great, but we did seem to notice a little doggie dementia at times. He would seem lost or not all there at times, but he was very active for 13 physically, just not as much mentally.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Bazel is 11 and very active he can run for hours chasing the wildlife here :Wallabies, etc. Sometimes he comes home absolutely exhausted. He might have slowed down a bit but not much. On the other hand our Merlin who is gone now slowed down a few years before he died he was 10 years 9 months when we lost him, he spent most of his time sleeping and waiting for treats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts