Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to be bothersome with all these questions. Someday soon I will hopefully be able to give out some advice.

Finley's housetraining is coming along ok, but he still has some hiccups. He's only 14 weeks old and usually does well. He knows outside is the place to go. When I take him out, as long as there isn't too many distractions, he usually gets right down to business. He's been pretty much doing fine with #2, but he still pees inside a couple times a night. He knows he souldn't be doing that because as soon as I see him he takes off. Is this just a puppy's small bladder or is he being defiant? I originally tried to train him on the wee-wee pads but they just became chew toys. Should I try and go back to them or is it too late for that?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I would definitely not go back to puppy pads. It just confuses them because they think that they can go in the house. Finley is still young. Daisy is 7 months old and still occasionally has an accident. At Finley's age, I was taking Daisy out every hour basically on the hour when she was awake. Now, I can stretch it to 2 hours or so, but she still signals to go out more than any other dog I have ever had.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Finley is still very very young. It will take him a while to learn how to control his bladder (he is not defiant). I used wee wee pad with Chloe, and still leave them by the door when I'm not home long hours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes I forget how young Fin really is. He feels like he's been part of the family forever and I've only had him 5 1/2 weeks, lol. He's starting to signal at the back door by going in that direction, but is yet to bark or make any noise telling us it's time to go. When I catch him going in the house I try to scoop him up as quick as possible and get him outside. Now if he is already done with this business is this pointless? Should I be approaching this differently?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If he is showing intentions that he needs to go, the bell should work brilliantly with you guys.
Hang a bell whithin his reach by the door. Everytime you take him out, ring the bell and immediately outside. After a few times, he will start associating the bell with potty and will alert you when he wants to go.

·
Registered
400 Posts
there are sure a lot of loving puppy parents on this forum--which is encouraging being one myself.

Ryan,
15 weeks is pretty young so the progress that your furkid has made is pretty good, imho. from what i've read on this forum, our lovable beagles can be a little challenging in the housetraining arena (or any arena for that matter :mad:). I'd have to agree that going back to puppy pads may confuse the little fella. For someone that's still trying to help his Java realize that carpet isn't the same thing as grass, I'd have to recommend sticking to a strict schedule. While are kids are wily and independent, a structured lifestyle (where they can expect or anticipate pottytime) can really help them understand that they can hold it in. Good luck, because i still need it and my little guy is almost 9 months!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
We are going thru house training issues with our 2 year old newly adopted beagle. One thing I just read that I wish I knew, was that if you keep some papers neaer the door and move them closer to the door, they will get the idea that the door is associated with potty. Try to get Finley to relieve himself outside as late as you can, and then confine him to a small space with a baby gate. Molly sleeps in the bedroom with us and has only had one nightime accident the whole time we had her so far (which is about 4 months)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Still kind of young. Scout was really good with house training but she had accidents here and there. She is a year old and still peed a little when we had company over for the weekend. She had never met them before and was really excited when they showed up. But then she was fine after that.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
The bells work miracle, and crate training as well.
At times in the middle of the night, when no one can hear the bell, he will have accident right by the patio door. So lately I close the crate door as soon as he is sound asleep in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts