Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My lady and I just got a beagle pup on Sat. We named her Luna (moon in other languages) because she howls a little. Anyways, we're having troubles housetraining her. We have 3 books, 2 on puppy care in general, and 1 on beagle care.

Our problem is that she won't eliminate unless it's on carpet. Whenever she's about to eliminate (her sniffing, then squat), I pick her up and take her outside. I'm out there with her for 30 mins to an hour at times. No business takes place, and she'll go back to the door and whimper to go back inside. I bring her inside since it doesn't seem like she'll go anymore. And right when i put her down, she sniffs around and squats again. I pick her up and take her outside. No elimination. Bring her back inside, instant elimination.

It seems like she's trained to eliminate on carpet. I've tried the scent cloth method where you wipe her urinary area with a paper towel and put it where you want her to eliminate, no go.

Today, I tried to put a little patch of carpet, with a little of her urine on it, outside. She didn't eliminate, but I brought her inside with the carpet, and put the carpet in the bathroom. She eliminated on it, but I'm not trying to housetrain her to go indoors.

Anyone have any other methods I can try?

Oh yeah, she's partly crate trained - by partly, I mean she doesn't like it that much in there, but she'll sleep happily in there and hasn't eliminated in there yet.

Thanks in advance for anyone's suggestions!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome! Luna sounds like the average beagle pup - stubborn!

I would keep doing what you're doing by taking her outside when you feel she needs to pee. Don't just stand there with her, but walk with her. If she is not fully vaccinated - stay within your yard perimeters, but walk with her. At first 30 min. just might not do it and you'll have to stay out with her for more time, but when she will pee outside (and she will), praise her like there is no tomorrow. Beagles are very sensitive in the way that they respond the best to praises and positive reinforcement, than to scolding.
The rubbing her urine on paper and taking it outside is a good idea, but I would do that with a cloth, it holds the scent better. Also, clean the rug well with an odor eliminator (if you clean it with a simple detergent, you won't smell it, but she WILL).

The most important thing is: be patient!!! and show us pictures of the little girl!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! It's been over 30 years since I've had a puppy so will leave your housetraining concerns to other members but reiterate Eleanor's plea ... we love pics, especially puppy pics!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yep, Eleanor has the right method. Training Duke was a nightmare! He would do the same thing as your Luna. After 5 days of this, I was near tears and decided that I was more stubborn than he was and we would stay outside (in 100 degree temps) until he went potty so I could praise him. Finally, almost an hour and a half and he went! Woohoo, I praised him, showered him with affection, and gave him a treat.

Not saying it was perfect from then on, but that was the first step. It took a few months to train Duke and even then, he liked to go in the front room, so we blocked it off and problem solved.

Make Luna's world smaller by keeping the area she wanders in inside limited with gates and closed doors and it helps. Plus, that way you can keep an eye on her without having to constantly get up and down chasing her. It will take time and patience, but it will work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do walk around with her though, she just leads me where ever and occasionally gets things in her mouth so I go after it. Whenever she does something I like, I praise her like she just cured cancer. I don't do any scolding; at most, I'll say "NO" and not even that loud. I clean the carpet with an enzymatic cleaner for pets and such - OUT, I believe.

All in all, I'm playing it by the book(s). How long does/did it take you to housetrain your beagles?

I only keep her in my bedroom for now since my roommate doesn't have patience with dogs.

I don't have many good pictures since I don't have my digi, this is a pic with my phone.
The pic is of her first night home. I was sitting on the ground, she pulled her toy out of the crate and slept next to me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I haven't ever had a puppy either, but I wanted to say Welcome to BW!!!! Looking forward to stories and pics of Luna!!!

Hang in there! Beagles really are stubborn, but it's part of their charm - LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
She is sure cute. I love the way puppies sleep. How old is she? Maggie was housetrained at five months. It seemed like it took forever but it finally happened it seemed like one day she was still going in the house and the next day she was not.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Luna is adorable!! She still looks pretty small, so it's probably just going to take some time for her to learn to go outside. Maggie will be 4 months old on Thursday, and I've been working with her for almost 2 months on the potty training business and she still doesn't quite get it. Patience is a BIG factor with these little ones!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Such a cute little puppy belly! She is a beautiful baby.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is definitely a switch on house training. All of the sudden you will realize that your puppy has been going to the door and no accidents in the house. We took Scout out every 30 mins, not matter what. So she caught on pretty quick. After about 2-3 weeks she was going to the door and after about a month she hardly went inside (the crate took longer since we would be gone at work for 4 hours).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol yeah she is very cute indeed. I suppose it was very naive of me to think that she'd be housetrained in a short time period.

I thought I had mentioned this too, but maybe not - she's 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hazaaa... like a flip of a switch, she ate, then looked at the door( my bedroom door) for a bit, then sniffed around because I didn't open the door for her. So I leashed her up and she sprinted towards the door. She lead herself around and after 10 mins of sniffing, she peed! then sniffed a little more and pooped. Of course, I praised her, but forgot to bring a treat. Then this morning, I woke up, and took her outside....pooped and peed around the same area within a minute. Lets see if this holds up.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts