Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops. I think I made a boo-boo...

Menolly's been doing all right with her housetraining; still quite a few accidents but she's trying. Having the doggie door helps.

The trouble is her crate. I put her in it only the first three nights; since then it's gone downhill from there.The two nights after that I only kept her in until the first potty break. Now for about the last five nights I've just let her sleep with me on my bed. Why?

She can't hold it very long with her pee, and even shorter with her poo. I was able to wake up in the middle of the night the first four days or so to let her outside, and she did well. But then I was so tired the next night, I slept right through the alarm, and she pooed in her crate. The night after that she pooed again and stepped in it.
I had to wash her and her bedding.
I've tried so hard to wake up in the middle of the night, but I just can't do it anymore. She runs me ragged all day and by bedtime I'm ready to collapse. The trouble is that's when she goes, and I wake up to a pile in my room (I keep the door closed because there's no way I'll trust her in the whole house yet). She hasn't gone in my bed
, but I still don't like it. I have no idea what to do. I don't want to put her back in her crate all night, because frankly the floor is easier to clean than the crate.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I wish I had some advice for you Carrie, but all I can offer is empathy. My Maggie has been (and still is) a little monster to potty train. She also will poop and pee in her crate, and anywhere else she decides to go. Just try and be patient...Menolly is only 4 months old and she's still adjusting to her new environment. Easy to say, I know, but just try and remain consistent, and hang in there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also wish I could give you some great advice. Miley can't go in her crate because she will pee in there and then lays right in it! But, she's had a couple accidents in the house when I'm gone so I prefer to get her trained not to go in her crate. I think Miley's issue is separation anxiety because it's more like a nervous drip rather than full blown accident. I've been thinking pee pads in the crate? Yuck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
alarm clock! you have no other choice. in a few weeks she will be able to hold it through the night, and then you'll be fine.
How about taking her out for a run or something like that just before bedtime, so that she is exhausted and after a potty break, then straight to bed.
Maybe she will be too tired to wake up for potty...

·
Registered
223 Posts
how about trying to change menolly's eating schedule? I saw that on the TLC show its me or my dog and i tried and and it has worked wonders for Arty. I'm not sure how it works with puppies so maybe someone can help.

On the show, they gave their dog a set amount of food and if it was not eaten by six pm (or whatever time you designate) they took away the food for the rest of the night. If you can figure out how long it takes for Menolly to digest her food and poop then see if you can raise or delay her eating time so that it better suits your needs. The same goes with water .. if you think they might be thirsty at night you can give them an ice cube or two until they can hold it better.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should say that- I feed her dinner at 5 PM and she finishes it like any healthy Beagle would.

I may have to knock on wood- I don't want to jinx this -but she's now been accident-free for two nights in a row. She's taken to exercising a LOT out back on her own, then coming in and crashing for a few hours. She's sleepy by the time bedtime (9 PM) rolls around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts