Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in search of some housebreaking tips for Daisy. She is crate trained, and is doing well in there with not pottying in the crate. The problem comes in when she is out of the crate. If we take her outside she will go, but she doesn't seem to care if she goes (pee only so far) on the carpet. So, I've been taking her out constantly it seems just to avoid an accident. She doesn't give me any signals that she needs to go. She just walks along and then squats out of nowhere. No whining, pawing at the gate, or sniffing at all to signal that it's coming. This morning I took her out at 5:30 and figured she was good to go until I left for work, but she peed in the floor at 6:00. I do grab her if I catch her in the act and run her outside, but other than that I don't know what else to do. I am using an enzyme cleaner to try and neutralize the smell. She doesn't go to the same place to pee either. It's just where ever she is standing at the time.

Sorry for the novel here, but I'm lost. My previous dog was a breeze to housetrain.

Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, when you catch her in the act, there is nothing else you can do, but say a firm NO or make a loud noise to startle her and make her stop - then take her outside and praise when she goes potty outside. This is a process that requires a lot of patience and persistance.
In order to help her signal you when she needs to go you can place a small bell on the wall by the door and ring it before every time you take her out. She will soon enough learn to associate the bell with going out.
Also, if you are not around to watch her (in a confined area) don't let her out the crate.
It will take a few months before she is at least 90% trained. Accidents will happen!!!

I also think that it takes a little longer with girls (don't know why though).

Stay strong, most of us have been through this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know how you feel! I have noticed that Maggie will go as soon as we get to the yard and then romp around and pee again a little later. Maybe you can give her a few more minutes.

Maggie doesn't always give us normal clues she needs to go out. Sometimes she goes to the door others she barks and jumps around. sometimes she just seems to busy playing to say hey!
One great thing is Maggie does bark when we ask her if she wants to go out/potty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with my Bailey now. What we're doing is taking his paw and scratching it on the door before we take him out.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Been there, done that, thought it was going to kill me. However, time and consistency do eventually pay off. It took me about 5 months to fully potty train Duke and the beginning was so rough I cried at times. But it worked and he is a good boy now and Daisy will get there too.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:Originally posted by magnoliablossom:
I know how you feel! I have noticed that Maggie will go as soon as we get to the yard and then romp around and pee again a little later. Maybe you can give her a few more minutes.

Maggie doesn't always give us normal clues she needs to go out. Sometimes she goes to the door others she barks and jumps around. sometimes she just seems to busy playing to say hey!
One great thing is Maggie does bark when we ask her if she wants to go out/potty.
Rhea, do you have to take Maggie out in the middle of the night or can she hold it? We're still having to take Daisy out 1 or 2 times a night and that's what's killing me I think. LOL!

·
Registered
32 Posts
[/qb][/QUOTE]Rhea, do you have to take Maggie out in the middle of the night or can she hold it? We're still having to take Daisy out 1 or 2 times a night and that's what's killing me I think. LOL! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Maggie is sleeping through the night about 98% of the time.

How late do you feed Daisy? Does she do her business before bed? When you get up with her how long does it take her to do her business?

Do you crate her during the day? If yes how long?
If she is holding it for a while during the day she should be able to at least part of the night.

Does her cry sound different...like I have to go or I will explode? Maybe you can figure out if she is just getting you up or she MUST go out!

I am brainstorming so I don't know if any of this makes much sense. Let me know how things go.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:How late do you feed Daisy? Does she do her business before bed? When you get up with her how long does it take her to do her business?
She gets her food around 6:00 or 6:30. I let it stay out until 7:00 or 7:30 and then all food and water get put away.

Quote:Do you crate her during the day? If yes how long?
She does get crated during the day, and either my husband goes home at lunch for a bit or my mother in law goes to the house to let her out during the day. She has only peed in the crate once right when we first got her, so I know she can hold it.

Quote:Does her cry sound different...like I have to go or I will explode?
I really think it's a "I'm just trying to wake you up to play" thing but if I don't respond then she will just get out of bed and pee in the floor or on the bed where ever she happens to be sleeping. She never cries or whimpers, she just wakes up and tries to get me to play. If I don't then she pees. It's almost like, "well I have nothing better to do, might as well go to the bathroom." :hi:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Aliesha,

We crate (in the living room) Maggie at night so that is probably why she sleeps through the night. Maybe since Daisy is still young and potty training is new you could try crating her at night until she is not having so many accidents.

Maggie would cry for a few minutes but settle down once the lights were off and the house was quiet. Her fussing is minimal if any now.

That is an option you could try. It may not work if her crate is in your room. It might be best to try it on a weekend or when you don't need to get a lot of rest in the event she protests alot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts