Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!
We have a 7 month old male Beagle called Buddy. He's a typical mischevious beagle and generally awesome dog

He is house trained...when we are at home and always asks to go in the garden. He knows he is not allowed to pee in the house...

HOWEVER.....when we go out, even for just a few hours, he often pees in the house (but only ever when we are not there)

We asked a trainer about this and she said we must be consistant with him, but the thing is he never tries to go inside when we are at home - he always goes outside then....

He usually pees around the same place in the conservatory, so perhaps he can smell it there and thinks its ok to pee there.... (although we always clear up straight away of course!)

Any suggestions on how to stop him peeing in the house when we are not there??? Will he grow out of it???

(we always ask him to pee before we leave - which he always does)

Thx

·
Registered
889 Posts
Have you thought about crate training? When we first got our two they were older than Buddy, but they weren't house broken. We borrowed a large crate from my parents and taught them to go in the crate when we were gone during then day. We crated them for probably about 6 months and then let them roam the house. Now the only time they have an accident is if they're sick.

Keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Sounds like a bit of separation anxiety peeing. The things I recommend from experience:

1. Keep him confined to an area like the kitchen, that way the accidents are confined to an area that is easy to clean

2. clean up the past accident areas with a cleaner made for dog pee, and continue to do that if he has more accidents

3. Make sure he gets one more potty trip outside right before you leave, and then one when you get home

4. Leave him with a radio/tv and some safe toys to keep him occupied

5. Praise, praise, praise for the good PP behavior.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Don't have anything to add, but I think Molly's Mom has it right. It really sounds like he is peeing in the house because you are gone. We used to have a dog who whould tip over trash cans and shred everything when we were gone. Didn't do it when we were there, only when we were gone.

Just thought of something else, Buddy might do better if he had a friend to be with. You may not be ready for that though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks people, some good ideas.

I think the separation anxiety could be right, he does get this sometimes. I'll try the cleaner made for dog pee too. We do have him in just one area when we are out with toys to play with. He's generally not left on his own for a very long time (4-5 hrs) and I think that he needs to learn that it is OK for him to be on his own for a while but it take time i guess. I try not to give him affection or attention before leaving the house for at least 30 mins.

We would love to get him a friend and are considering that as an option. Now is not the best timing, however it is defo a consideration.

He's been a good puppy for the last couple of days....no pees....lets see if it lasts!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you walk/exercise him before leaving him. I was having this problem with my 5 month old puppy; I didn't walk him in the morning because he didn't want to get up early enough to go out. Since coaxing him into going for a walk I have had no problems with him, the only time he goes indoors now is when I don't take him for his morning walk.

He was always taken outside to toilet even when he wasn't walked so it's not like he didn't have chance to empty his bladder/bowels. I just think the walk does him good and gets him settled. He is generally left on his own for around 4 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts