Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shelby does really well about peeing outside and letting us know when she needs to go out. But just the other day she met a puppy next door so EVERY time she whines at the door its to book it to the neighbor's to look for puppy. Since I've gotten tired of chasing her over there, I don't let her out when she whines every two minutes-- just here and there. Well this morning she has pooped in the house TWICE! I don't know what to do! Because I know if I let her out every time she whined she would just run over there and not do the deed anyway. Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colby does the same thing. So even though I have a fenced in yard when he rings the bell to go outside I put him on a leash to go the bathroom. I know if I took him off the leash he would forget about going the bathroom and just go looking for rabbits.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The first thought that comes to my mind is to take her out on her lead, use cue words to get her to go (ie go potty!), praise her when she's done and let her off to play for a bit, but if she doesn't go then take her back inside without letting her go look for the puppy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally Posted By: Rocky is our boyThe first thought that comes to my mind is to take her out on her lead, use cue words to get her to go (ie go potty!), praise her when she's done and let her off to play for a bit, but if she doesn't go then take her back inside without letting her go look for the puppy.
That's what I was going to suggest. You've got to get her to understand that pottying needs to be done OUTSIDE, and that it's a good thing to do.

Potty...THEN look for the puppy.
Who can blame a beagle looking for a fun new friend?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy will be five in October. She is completely housebroken but still goes by the door to get our attention. Then it may be to go out, to get a treat, to go see if our neighbor's cat is out, to go see if our neighbor is out, to see if the other neighbor's dog is out, to get a Greenie, etc. Need I go on? She has us trained well!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm definitely with the suggestion about the lead. Always take her out on her leash so she understands that the only reason she is going out is to go potty. Give her a limited amount of time to do her duty. If she doesn't, take her back inside. Do you have her in a crate or kennel? If so, put her in it until you take her out again. She'll get it. That's what we did with Quinn and Grayson. We kept them crated most of the time and would let them play after they'd gone potty.

After a while of learning that she has to get out there and do it, she won't waste time. Quinn and Grayson dawdle, but I lightly tug on their leashes every time they start to wander off and tell them, go potty! If they don't after a few tugs, I take them back inside. They'll go when outside if they have to.

I hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
5,257 Posts
I think she needs to learnt he difference of the potty outside and whining for her friend. Molly is very vocal and whines a lot - I really have to pay attention to see what it is that she wants. Potty praise is HUGE, works great. I always say go pp, go pp, and when she does I say good PP, good girl.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions, they're great ideas! I wondered about giving her a piece of food (since even THAT would be exciting to her) every time she does her deed outside and saying good girl but she runs away from me when I walk up to her.. We do have a kennel for her and she makes a ruckus when she doesn't want to be in there. I think that will teach her though. Thank you again, everyone! If anything else comes to mind, please feel free to share!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Her running away from you when you walk up to her is not a good thing. What if she were to have found something dangerous that you need to get away from her? This is something you need to work on and I suggest you take her outside on a leash and work on getting her to stay while you advance, and getting her to come when called as well as the potty thing. And her making a ruckus in the kennel...I say so be it! I would only let her out once she's calmed down...teach her you are in charge.
Good luck!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally Posted By: Rocky is our boyThe first thought that comes to my mind is to take her out on her lead, use cue words to get her to go (ie go potty!), praise her when she's done and let her off to play for a bit, but if she doesn't go then take her back inside without letting her go look for the puppy.
Agreed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We recently moved back in with my parents and she has done very well with peeing outside but has been pooping inside. My mom's dogs do that sometimes and get away with it so maybe she smells it and does it as well and doesn't get punished-- I do. Even though I'm not home when it happens. We're trying to buy a house and I'm worried that she will think that this will be ok when we do. My husband read that its common for dogs to do that when they're insecure with their surroundings..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts